Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Headed to Africa

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

depending on how well you know how to wheel off road, I would suggest a rear locker, ex: detroit trutrac, or e-locker, though you wouldn't want a full time one (hence my suggestions) because you said you would be doing a lot of road driving also. Or do you already have the G80?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

If I were going to Africa with mine I would definitely do a solid axle swap. The stock IFS will need parts replaced frequently. And is weak. If you run anything over 31x10.5 in serious terrain on the stock suspension, you are asking for trouble if you ask me. Realistically, the bumpers aren't as big an issue. They are there to keep things pretty for the most part. Skid plates will be mandatory. I'm not sure what you meant by 19 inch tires. If you meant wheels, then no. Stay with the stock ones. Steel rims are preferred.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
groundedmk is on a distinguished road

*whew* I have tons of plans and I'm trying to figure out when to do them...or more like when will I have the money

I will be replacing most of the steering system with greasable parts...actually hoping to get a sponsor. Maybe the harsh conditions in Africa will get someone to give me parts to test? Dunno, we'll see.

Anybody have an online store they would recommend? I've been looking at summit racing. Also looking for greasable lower ball joints.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Dude you gotta get some Nitto Dune Grapplers... Just cause the flame design is awesome

Dune Grappler

Last edited by ChevyBlazerChick; 11-09-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

Being as I have driven in Africa with the USMC, let me make some suggestions.

1. Cooling. Get yourself a better radiator, also make sure you have some extra capacity and better fans for cooling.

2. In addition having the extra coolers for oil trans diff would be smart.

3. Tire plug kit and compressor. Maybe a couple cans of fix a flat (in the states people will go eeew. When you are out there it is a good idea.

4. Roof basket for extra tire, jack, rope for pulling out of situations, jerry cans for gas. Keep a 5 gal can for water in the truck as well.

5. winch that can mount on front or rear.

6. plenty of cd's, you will not enjoy the local radio.

7. skid plates for basically everything you do not want to break.

8. spare blazer for parts

9. Snorkel with washable filter. may want to route exhaust up rear quarter panel to avoid flooding into the exhaust (not mandatory but there is a reason we do it.)

10. Tint strip on the windshield, it's brighter than satans flashlight there.

11. exploration kit with pick shovel etc. make sure you do not go cheap.

12. 6 big bottles of jack daniels (makes Africa suck a little less)

13. Tarp and camping chairs for when she breaks down anyways.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Ya know what... sell the Blazer and get one of these.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

looks like an MRAP, if you can afford the fuel and the cost of the vehicle that would be great

Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM

lol, it is an MRAP... just not the US Military's version. And its available to the highly rich Civies

Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Beginning Member
groundedmk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by USMC3782
Being as I have driven in Africa with the USMC, let me make some suggestions.
First of all, thank you for your service in the USMC...you guys are much appreciated. AND your list is very helpful. I have most of that on my to do list except the exhaust rerouting. I am considering doing that but not sure yet. The one thing I disagree with you on is the local music. I grew up in Guinee, West Africa and I enjoy their music.

Last edited by groundedmk; 11-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

That looks like some sorta RG 31 version.. but by the photo it looks smaller then a reg RG 31.. just saying.. thou I doubt to many people know what I'm talking about huh USMC... haha

Quick Reply: Headed to Africa