Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Headed to Africa

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a fun trip and progress looks good so far!

Be safe and have fun!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

Looks like a good start. Have you looked into a compressor and flat repair kit yet. Unless you have a motor pool available it would be beneficial. Some of the plants there have thorns like nails.

Looking good so far. Some diff protectors in aluminum should be nice as well.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Check my mods list on my signature. Some of the stuff there would help. I agree with everyone who has posted so far, but here are some other tips I could think of:

-You have an automatic, right? GET A COOLER. BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN FIT IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR. Preferably one that is tough enough to be rock resistant like a B&M. One with a fan is better. Brush guards are not a bad idea to protect your radiator, but put some steel mesh or something behind your grille to protect it from rocks. Get a deep pan also with a drain plug and change your fluid every 7.5k miles and the filter every other fluid change. Those deep pans come in handy if you want to change the fluid yourself.

-Get a new radiator, intake gaskets, a water pump and lower temp thermostat. ESPECIALLY if you have DEXCOOL. Flush it and get green.

-If you are going to be keeping the IFS (NOT RECOMMENDED), rebuild the front end with new wheel bearings, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, rag joint, CV Axles, tie rods, seals etc. All that stuff might be hard to get in Africa and those parts wear out alot. Keep plenty of extras on hand. Also use full synthetic grease if you can get it. Get a Posi-Lok system also, but be aware that it can be hard to engage at times, so if you are already on a surface that you know you MIGHT get stuck, engage it, but you can wait to put the T-Case into 4x4. Hopefully you have a 3-button setup.

-Use synthetics in everything from the oil to the axles. If you have any leaks or anything close to leaking (aka your oil cooler lines on the engine), fix it well before you leave.

-Hopefully you know the meaning of being prepared if you are going to take a 12-year old truck to Africa. Make sure to keep the following items in your truck (and that is INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, but at the same time keep the truck light as you can while still being prepared.) spare fluids for EVERYTHING, spare belts, tools, fuses, flashlights, spare batteries, air compressor, a second spare tire, two-way radio to get help, first aid kit, jumpstarter, tow strap, GPS AND MAPS of where you are going to be, a compass (DON'T RELY ON THE ONE ON YOUR OVERHEAD CONSOLE. It only has declination correction settings for North America (see your manual). Even if you recalibrate it, it won't show true north for where you are going to be.), emergency kit, etc. Also anything you would take with you if you were in a wilderness survival situation.

-Invest in a solid cargo rack (not a roof cargo box. Those are cheap, they make noise and the stock cargo rack is flimsy) and/or a hitch carrier. If you get a hitch carrier, put a box on it for gear AND put LED trailer lights on it for safety. I posted a thread about mine. But if you get one, get a good one that is made of steel tubing and encase the light wiring in tubing. Make your connections strong so you don't have to deal with broken wires.

-Any other parts that normally go before 150k, replace them before you leave.

-If you have a cold air intake, keep in mind you can't go through water that deep. Get a snorkel. Also keep in mind that the truck has items like electronic modules and sensors that can't get wet that are placed low. Your airbag module is under the console and the sensors are on the frame rails behind the hooks. Your TCCM (keep an extra one of those also. Along with your encoder. Better yet, if you have a 3-button switch, convert it to manual. Either way, get a Posi-Lok for your IFS IF you keep it.) is behind the kick panel on the passenger side. If you can, relocate them.

-Your fuel pump is among the hardest things to change. Get a good replacement one before you go and keep a spare with you. Better yet, maybe someone here could make a suggestion on cutting a hatch in the floor above the tank. Change your fuel filter often.

-Get a bigger alternator and do a big 3 upgrade. Put extra lights on the truck. You will need them. Upgrade your high beams to quad beams.

- Not sure how you would do this on this truck, but get a spare gas tank with it's own pump and a means to transfer case between the tanks in case you have a fuel pump failure. One option would be to get the fuel storage and delivery system from another truck and fit it in with the lines and electronics.

-4-door trucks normally do not come with skid plates. Go on eBay and see if you can find ones that fit.

-Before you leave, find out about any parts suppliers that have parts for your truck so if you have a problem, you know who your go-to people are to get it fixed as fast as possible.

This is just the stuff I could think of off the top of my head. Good luck.

EDIT: You won't be able to go through water high enough to cover the engine. Too much electronics and stuff that can't get submerged.

Also, your transmission, transfer case and diffs have vents. Make sure they stay clear or you will be blowing seals. I don't offroad and I blew a pinion seal twice because the vents were clogged.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 01-22-2012 at 11:37 PM.