Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

locking differentials..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: locking differentials..

I like how you think quontush.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:15 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

well thank you guys for the imput.....I would for sure get a lift.....and bigger tires regardless of what vehicle I choose.....and what I like about the zr2.....is just what moonwater said.....I like being a blazer owner.....

......how come a longer wheel base if better for rocks??it seems the the longer base would get stuck on the rocks....hmmm......

dreaming of trucks........

Old 05-01-2006, 07:52 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Am not familiar with the front end of the 4 wheel drives, but am certaily in favor of lockers. If it were me I woud start with the blazer and buy a new one to drive to the store? Do what you need for off raod to the blazer and you'll have something that will not be a compromise. you'll have what it takes to get the job done. If the blazer is in reasonable condition then installing lockers is no big deal. like I said, i am not a 4 whell drive guy, but the rear whell drive only versions of lockers have bben part of my experience for years. You coould actually install your own if you have a decent amount of regular mechanical experience. If you happen to pick a simply model and follow directions well, you shouldnt have any problem.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. If you start with a general open diff, many lockers simply replace the spider gears in the differential with the locker unit. Everything fits inside of the original open differential carrier.

The problem is if you have the G80 RPO code which is for the positration-limited slip (gov-loc) differential. Most lockers do not fit inside the gov-loc carrier. To replace the carrier, you are talking significantly more complicated. This would require a dial indicator with a magnetic base to re-set the backlash and possibly a set of micrometers to get your baseline shim pack. This is not generally a backyard mechanics job simply because of the specialized (and expensive) tools required to do it. But given the tools, it can be done by pretty much anyone.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Weld the side gears together.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
LeigerReign is an unknown quantity at this point

My dream is a dodge T-rex. Well it might not be the most inexpensive rig or the most capable but 6x6 sounds much nicer than 4x4. The T-rex can be a good rig, tons of traction.....but a little heavy. Its pretty cool to look at on the trails.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: blazingsadle

Am not familiar with the front end of the 4 wheel drives, but am certaily in favor of lockers. If it were me I woud start with the blazer and buy a new one to drive to the store? Do what you need for off raod to the blazer and you'll have something that will not be a compromise. you'll have what it takes to get the job done. If the blazer is in reasonable condition then installing lockers is no big deal. like I said, i am not a 4 whell drive guy, but the rear whell drive only versions of lockers have bben part of my experience for years. You coould actually install your own if you have a decent amount of regular mechanical experience. If you happen to pick a simply model and follow directions well, you shouldnt have any problem.
well that would be ideal to be able to afford car payments on two vehicles...I am just getting caught up.....and frankly....until I buy a house and gather some tools....I will just have to settle for being a weekend warrier....