Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Noob to winching with questions

Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM
uhlhazard is on a distinguished road
Default Noob to winching with questions

Hey guys, I just installed a winch to my truck and have a few questions.

Build thread:
UHLCLAN • Login

My tree saver just has loops on each end. Am I supposed to use a shackle to connect the tree saver to the ****** block?

I was shopping for a tree saver that had hooks on each end that could just connect straight to the shackle but they seem to be pretty uncommon.

p.s. anyone know of some good ORV parks in or around San Antonio or Houston?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yes you will want to get yourself a few good d-ring shackles if you plan to do some winching. They can be used in many ways and are much safer than a standard hook.

Edit: I just looked at your build thread and noticed you are installing a hawse fairlead. Do you intend to install synthetic rope? I wouldn't run the hawse with a cable. It will put additional stress on the cable and it will also make your winch pull much harder at any angle other than straight on due to the friction it will cause. I'm not saying it can't be done or that others haven't but I wouldn't personal do it!

Last edited by rexmburns; 04-25-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

I'm trying to conceal the install. I won't do the rollers, they just invite eyes on my car. I have some rediculous drings and will make sure to use them.

The problem with synthetic is that it is hot in south texas, it is hot in my engine bay and my winch brake is inside the drum. They would break down really fast. My brother has a similar install and nuked his synthetic rope in 10 or so pulls.

Definitely safe when it breaks though!

Looking at some tree straps at (30000lbs) but the WLL is only 10500. If I use my 18K ****** block against myself/tree I have the capacity to destroy the tree straps given a 16k load capacity.

Where do they sell tree straps with a wll of 16k?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

If concealment is a concern you could use something like this and hide a roller really well where your winch is mounted. Quadratec Roller Fairlead License Plate Mount | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec. As for tree straps I don't have a clue I've always used my tow strap as a tree strap! I like it cause it gives me extra reach when a tree isn't so close.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM

That is a good idea!

I just went outside and I'd have to some major cutting to my bumper to stuff in the roller. I figure if the hawse wears out I'll grab another one and some more wire rope. That stuff is getting cheap with synthetic everywhere now.

Did you run a fuse on your winch? I seem to be in the minority on this idea lol!

Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Justake sure you are checking your winch line after every putting that you pull with it and try to pull as straight as possible and you should be ok for a bit. I'm not sure how you would run a fuse on a winch? It's wired direct to the battery and the draw would almost certainly pop a fuse instantly.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM

I got one of these: Mega Fuse Holder Fuse Block with 450 Amp Mega Fuse Included | eBay

Winch is rated to pull 430 amps maximum. I'm worried about inrush current now so I may have to suck it up and route the wiring with love and keep an eye on it like the starter wire.