Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!
View Poll Results: A poll
Winch? What is that?
4.19%
Nothing of the sort
35.93%
Electric Winch
40.72%
Hydraulic Winch
0.60%
Come Along
12.57%
High Lift
5.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Do you have a winch & if so, what kind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Beginning Member
k5blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
I can't be the only person on here that has a winch, can I?
your not i have a 9.5ti warn which with a strap greatest set up ever

Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Beginning Member
crazyls2 is on a distinguished road

I have aSmittyBilt XRC-12 and love it. I have only been able to use it a couple of times but was very pleased. I like that it has a good length of cable and heavy gauge.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Blazer snowcat is on a distinguished road
Default Winch thoughts

Hi,
As I probably posted before I use a 8500 lb Super Winch with my rig but before always carried a come-along for extra or backup. It comes in handy to do a small side pull or hold if your vehicle is going sideways as you winch it out.

Also, for those who like the idea of not spending lots of money on a winch you will use rarely if never, you should considor a "Griphoist" or more commonly refered to as a "Tirfor" Hand Winch.

They are incredible. A friend of mine works in salvage recovery and has differant size ones that he uses to pull heavy equipment from lakes and swamps when no winch application is possible.

The differance they have from a come-along is that the cable streams through it as you pull the lever. This way you can have 100' of cable to stream unlike the short rang a come along gives you.

There is lots of info online about them.

Meanwhile....... prethink your path and actions, saves the downtime and risk/pain of winching. :-)
Griphoist (Tirfor) Hand Winch

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Beginning Member
hammer051 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazer snowcat
Hi,
for those who like the idea of not spending lots of money on a winch you will use rarely if never, you should considor a "Griphoist" or more commonly refered to as a "Tirfor" Hand Winch.
Dude, I've never seen a griphoist that was considerably cheaper than a winch. You might save $100, but after 2 hours of sweating your A-hole off pumping that thing, an electirc winch would have been worth that $100!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Blazer snowcat is on a distinguished road
Default Dude! I guess I got it wrong what info was asked for.

Hi,

Originally someone made a posting saying that the cost of a mounting bracket was a bit steep in cost for them to invest in, also saying, "... they should learn to weld" (great idea), Also that any kind of descent winch is a fair investment with a good fairlead. Then there was a comment made asking about was there value in carrying a "come-along".

I recommend to look at possibly a Tirfor (GripHoist) and was told on the forum they are only $100.00 less than purchasing a good electric winch setup and not worth the bother.

I guess I worded my information posting wrong, this is a revised reply to my previous one.

I think that most people who use this forum are a bit more "ingenius" "creative" "thrifty" and would shop around for any devices. Not just look for only new.

If you have a vehicle and rarely think you will need a winch, or want to have something to throw in your tools behind the seat that will get you out of a stuck, you can shop around and find a tirfor online in either Kijji, ebay, or craigslist for under $300.00 . Two sold near me online for under $200.00 in the last two weeks. I like to carry some tools that I hope I never have to use but feel comfortable they are with me.

A tirfor is a manual device so if you tend to have to winch yourself out regularly forget the idea of one. But if you don't want to have a winch on the front of your vehicle but want a bit of an insurance behind your seat just in case then a tirfor may be for you.

If you go out and push the envelope regularly in poor conditions get a great winch on a great mount, wheel chocks, ****** blocks and tree/axle straps and go for it.

The Tirfor is just a thrifty recommendation, for those who dont want the whole setup on the front of their vehicle, not for everyone. Do lots of homework/research on what is available new and used.

Decide one of the two:
"What do I really need"

"What do I want" *This usually means, "how much money do you have to blow"

I like the posting that said he carries a "jackall" or "implement jack" and uses it as a winch also. They are so right! Plus, a good jack can lift your wheels up to throw sticks under to drive out and you don't need a winch.

Hand tools are priceless in use and versatility.

Meanwhile, everyone.........

"keep it between the ditches!"

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Beginning Member
mike105 is on a distinguished road
Default winch...

I mounted a 2" receiver in the front..Welded to the hooks.. Looking for a good electric winch soon. Just gotta get the guy to weld up a plate and tongue for it. Maybe ill wire the front and back.. so can use it in both positions. Nice to have that capacity! Wen is good. Should get like 3500 lb capacity though. My humble opinion

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mike105
Should get like 3500 lb capacity though. My humble opinion
your truck wieghs aprox 3500 lbs, you'll never do anything with a winch that size.

unless you're pulling it across a nice flat parking lot.

general rule of thumb is.......double the weight of what you're trying to pull. so grab a 8000 lb-er, & have fun.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
Sam's rustyY2K is on a distinguished road

Years ago I had a Toyota Tacoma. I was young, poor, and liked to wheel my rig. Even if I could have welded a winch receiver, a $700 winch was out of the picture. I picked up a Wyeth-Scott "more power puller" 12,000 lb model used for $25.

After I had sold the truck back to Toyota, I picked up a TJ and used some of the money to "get serious" about some recovery gear. For $400 dollars I bought:
60" Hi-Lift "extreme"
Hi-Lift off road kit
35' Amsteel Blue rope from Wyeth-Scott (to rewind the winch)
2 30' 10,000 lb recovery straps
Hi-Lift "handle all"
20' of 8,000 lb chain

I almost bit on the $300 Chinese piece of junk winch from harbor freight until my buddy picked one up, and it broke and injured him the second time he used it.

When I got over the "Jeep thing" and found something I could drive every day, I kept all the stuff. Now it all sits nicely strapped down to the floor (don't want to kill the kids with flying projectiles) in the cargo area of my Blazer. I haven't found a situation that I haven't been able to work out of. Electric winches are quicker, but the key I found to not holding up the wheeling group is getting the winch or lift out and not slapjawing for 45 minutes about the best way to pull. If I'm alone, I have all day

I don't mean to pick on electric winches, but I think they're one of the most oversold items in off roading. Unless you're using it 4 to 5 time a year or more, it seems like a large investment for one rarely used item. All of those things new would run you around $550 and you'd be hard pressed to find a new winch and all of the straps and accessories for anywhere near that. They have their place, but for the casual wheeler like myself, I really like the manual setup.

Sam

Last edited by Sam's rustyY2K; 01-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

I have a Warn 9k on mine with rope. After 5 years of abuse and more pulls then I care to count, I can't complain. I use mine more then most too because of doing recovery for RCrocks and WERock. I have also done a few long pulls with no issues. Once you go with rope you will never go back to a cable. I abuse my rope pretty good and it's still going strong 5 years later.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member
ghostwn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
famous last words.

Not really, just fact.

Quick Reply: POLL: Do you have a winch & if so, what kind?