Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Rough Country 6" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

What year is your blazer? Does your c/v axles bolt to the transfer case? Mine just slide in.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:27 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
What year is your blazer? Does your c/v axles bolt to the transfer case? Mine just slide in.
It's a 95. I know they changed to the other style later, not sure of the year.

Mine just bolt right up. I believe it's six bolts on each.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:14 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Whoa, makes me Jones for a 6 inch lift!

Old 12-19-2018, 04:27 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Whoa, makes me Jones for a 6 inch lift!
I'll give a honest review of the ride quality after I'm all done. Bunch of guys on reddit were hating on the quality, so we'll see how it goes.

Not like we have any other options for a lift that size for our trucks, anyway

Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran

So, not much done tonight. Had a few errands after work. I did get a decent work light, so hopefully my pics will turn out better from now on!

You have to remove the factory steering center link:

After removal:

Now you need to cut out the factory stabilizer bracket:

Like so:

Quick question: does y'alls trucks have anything mounted to that bracket in the above pics? Mine didn't have any type of stabilizer there, I'm wondering why it's even there.

Now you can bolt on the new center link:

In the instructions, you're supposed to cut parts of the control arm pockets. The pictures are absolute trash, and I can't tell where I'm supposed to cut. I'm skipping that part from now, I'll wait till I start bolting the control arm drop brackets on, and see if that makes it more clear
​​​​​

Old 12-19-2018, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Quick question: does y'alls trucks have anything mounted to that bracket in the above pics? Mine didn't have any type of stabilizer there, I'm wondering why it's even there.
To answer your question: No, most don't. It is the bracket to where you would mount a steering stabilizer. Some came with it and I think the ZR2s did. I installed an RC steering stabilizer using it with the other end clamped to the far end of the centerlink, just inside where the idler arm attaches.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 PM
BF Veteran

Man, the instructions on this kit are absolute garbage. Can't tell hardly anything from them. They give you a rough idea of what's supposed to happen, but the rest is up to you to figure out!

I started off tonight by installing the front lower control arm crossmember. This requires a little bit of cutting to fit:

Please ignore my finger lol. This is the passenger side control arm mounting pocket. Laying on your back looking up, feet towards the front of the vehicle. The driver side is done the same way.

Here is the crossmember fully mounted:

There is a "link" that goes between this crossmember and the steering center link:

This thing pissed me right off. First, the threads were a little messed up. One of the "ball joint" type ends threaded into the sleeve fine, the other I had to clamp in my vise, and turn with a crescent wrench. Also, the way the bolts are oriented, you can't even get a ratchet on them, much less an impact. Wrenches all the way.

After all that, I mounted the passenger side diff drop bracket:

The picture in the instructions doesn't help much. The bracket that sticks off of it goes towards the front of the vehicle. This is what the steering stabilizer attaches to.
(Note how the bolts are angled. Think you're gonna get an impact or ratchet on that?)

Steering stabilizer mounted:

Had a hell of a time getting that stabilizer on, also. The rubber donuts on the shaft end of the stabilizer were too thick, and I couldn't get the nut started. Had to shave them down a little with a knife. They look like they are over compressed right now, but that was the only way I could get a full nut on the threaded shaft.

That's probably all for tonight, next is a little cutting on the diff, and installing the other two diff brackets, and then somehow getting the diff back in place.

Last edited by cleburne red; 12-20-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran

Well, we messed up today guys. Had to cut the fins off the diff for clearance. Got a little carried away:

On my way to home depot now for jb weld. Probably not the best idea, but it's definitely the cheapest lol

Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Whoops!

Could you get some 90 degree angle aluminum extrusion and with some sealant screw it over the opening to seal it?

Old 12-21-2018, 05:39 PM
BF Veteran

Possibly. I've got some quick set jb weld, I'm going to gradually build it up to cover the hole. If it doesn't work, I can always pull one at the junk yard

Quick Reply: Rough Country 6" Lift