Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

2001 A-pillar...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM
RockingRobin69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 A-pillar...

New member here & also to to the Blazer. Need to know what is behind the A pillar on the drivers side as I have to drill a very large hole. Wiring? Cables? Thanks.

Robin...

Bumping to the top with a new title in hope for some responses.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Beginning Member
Cyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2001 A-pillar...

not sure whats behind a 2001 i have a 97, but you can just grab the a pillar and pull it towards you away from the body and it just unclips

Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull off the a-pillar to do any modification such as this. It is just held on by spring clips.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Pullin it off is no problem. My concern is whats behind there. Is it a route for wires running up to the OHC? Will I encounter wiring as I drill through the A-pillar? Thanks.

Robin...

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, you want to drill into the A-pillar itself and not just the trim? There is wiring there, but it is surface mounted. I would strongly advise against drilling into the A-pillar. If you want to mount gauges, get an appropriately molded a-pillar with gauge pods.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 AM

Kyle, I need to drill through the A-pillar. I'm installinga spotlight. Like the police use. I have done this before on other vehicles but this is my first Blazer. The install requires drilling through the A-pillar using a 1/2 drill bit so thats why I'm asking about whats in there. The inside trim panel needs to remain in place so the hole being drilled is one straight shot into the interior. I can't step-drill it either.Thanks.

Robin...

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Administrator

I believe the wiring should be up towards the windshield which you should be fairly far away from with your drill. You can still remove the a-pillar to note where everything is (and should) prior to drilling anything. You are going to have some fun with the door as it covers quite a bit of the a-pillar.

Reason I say not to drill the a-pillar is due to the chance of roll-over with pretty much any SUV. Drilling through the a-pillar can cause it to collapse and not protect you.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks Kyle. Thats pretty much whatI needed to know. Thanks again.

Robin...