Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

83-85 dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default 83-85 dash

My dash pieces on the front of my dash are kind of faded and I was thinking about repainting them. I was wondering if anyone knows what the original dash looked like factory I've tried to research it but have not had any luck finding pictures or does anyone have any other dash color suggestions?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You can look at the sticker in your glove box to see what the paint codes are. It has both interior and exterior codes. If you get The interior paint color code will be 2 numeric and 1 alpha, for example 19G. You can look up the codes (called RPOs or Regulat Production Option codes) several places on the web or any factory manual will have all of them. Everyone ignores the sticker but it has a bunch of information on it. As far as what they look like, they were painted one color with the dash and side trim over that. There are some illustrations for some of the dash pieces in the LMC Truck catalog. You need to be careful of the process of just painting the interior pieces. I found out the hard way on my 84 Jimmy. There are different plastics and some are supposed to have a special primer layed down first or the paint will peel off. If the surface is already painted I didn't have a problem. But for new parts, let's just say they are going to have extensive rework.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM

I had browsed around on LMC truck and I still was unable to find what I'm looking for so I took a quick picture. What I'm wondering is what color the instrument bezel, the piece that goes around the a/c and radio, and the one that goes around the a/c vents, and the glove box originally were.

What I'm wanting to re-paint

Also, would I need a special paint for those or would something like Krylon for Plastics work?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 AM

From your pics it looks like it's a brushed aluminumfinish but really can't tell. I know because I have that on my 84 Jimmy Sierra Classic T-15. If it is you can either paint it or put an overlay on it. I bought an overlay. Just haven't got around to install it yet. Had to ask the company if they made one because it wasn't listed in the product line.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Yeah, sorry my picture isn't the greatest. Underneath the head unit there is a black spot was that originally black? Also you think Krylon would bond to that? If so I was looking at
nickel shimmer
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...allic_shimmer/
and either black or satin black
or does anyone know of something that might be closer? Becuase the nickel doesn't look that close
but, It's the closest thing I could find in terms of spraypaint
brushed aluminum does look like it but wouldn't you have to know how to paint to do that?

also, are you meaning overlay as in a decal?

Last edited by 84BlazerS10; 02-12-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM

The overlay I got is actually a very thin plastic piece that was made for early S10 series. What you do is bond (glue) it on and it looks just like when it came out of the factory. You mat have seen other dash kits done in various woodgrains. This is the same thing only it restores the original brushed aluminim look.
The paint you're looking at is kind of interesting if it comes out like they say. I'll also bet that the kit I bought was mucho more money than the paint. I would clean and lightly the surface real good like the surface prep says to do, hit it with some (for instance) Duplicolor Grease and Wax Remover in case someone put Armor All on it and you could paint it. I would probably do one piece first unless you feel lucky. I just painted a 97 center console that I'm putting in my 94 Blazer with some Duplicolor and I did the above prep except I used some Bully Dog bonding agent prior to the final paint. It was a little glossy for interior so I scuffed it with a rough cloth and top coated it with some satin finish polyurethane. Looks dynamite. This was not for the trim pieces like you want to do. But, hey, go for it. If you don't like it when you're done, do something different.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the tips Gimpy Blazer. I went to the store the other day to test out the krylon nickel shimmer and it looks pretty spot on to that brushed aluminum on my test piece but I'm going to wait until this summer to paint the dash it's self because the climate here has been very unpredictable.