Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

86 k5 rusty floor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What I need is inside. The plates on the top of the doors at the back corners along with screws & the sheetmetal that the screws run into down inside (requires drilling out the spot welds). Also, the rear window channel upper support. The rear window channel in the doors unbolts from inside the door, but all I'm looking for is the upper support which will also have to have the spot welds drilled out. The picture attached shows these brackets (one per side).

If your upper windshield frame is good, I'd take that off your hands as well. Just cut it with a sawsall or hack saw about 6" down.

I want the brackets from inside the doors and the window frame to scan in (we have a 3D laser scanner at work) to possibly make reproduction pieces for this. The brackets from the doors would also allow me to convert a set of doors for my '74 without tearing into the doors that are on it now.

Attached Thumbnails 86 k5 rusty floor help-018.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

mine doenst have any upper window supports. unless you mean the quarter glass. and ill have to see what i do with the doors. remember that mine is beat to hell and the doors are all dented in and out. so ill take a look and see what i can do for you.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its the channel down inside the door at the back of the window. The 'S' curved brackets in the picture are the upper mount to the window channel. I know that there is no upper window support.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 PM

ok then. those supports that hold the window in the back end are actually new looking on mine. ill see if i can take some pics of them and show them tomorrow after i get out of school. you wouldnt happen to know if the heater and ac box out of the 74 would fit the 86 would you? lol. im also working on that tomorrow.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

The HVAC systems changed quite a bit over the years. Nothing is impossible, but I'm not sure I would recommend going backwards. I will be swapping the HVAC system, dash, and pretty much all wiring from my '90 Suburban to my '74.

I wish I had taken pictures of the window channel I refurb'd on my '74. The one in my truck was broke off in the middle so the window would fall out of the channel about half way down. I had a few spare pickup doors and grabbed a regulator & rear channel from it. Compared the channels, cut, drill, weld, and reassembled. Workin' great!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:29 PM

is it anything to do with this?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I'd like the black plate that is in your picture along with the bracket that it mounts to underneath as shown in the picture below:

The window track at the back of the door is visible in that picture as well. The upper support on the window track at the back of the door is fastened with the bolt that is towards the center of the door in this picture:

Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 AM

oh ok. ill see what i can do for you. im not sure if im ready to start ripping body pieces off it though so it might be a while but im sure i have no other use for that part.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I am a patient person! LOL Thanks!