Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Advice on paint/peeling '94 Blazer

Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Moridin is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on paint/peeling '94 Blazer

Hey guys, hoping for a few tips or maybe a point in the right direction.

Here's the situation: I have a '94 s10 blazer that had the front-end repainted about 8 years ago after some body work. Fast forward a few years and I notice some spots on the hood that looked like this:

Stupid me, I didn't do anything about it over the next several years since it wasn't my primary vehicle... fast forward to now and this is what I'm dealing with:

So here are my initial concerns:

How do I stop this peeling problem from spreading further?
What can I do to protect the exposed parts until I can figure out what to do about re-painting/detailing the problem areas?

Thanks in advance for any advice whatsoever, I'm completely ignorant to car paint/bodywork.. I don't plan to stay that way, but I wanted to get any advice on how to stop this problem and protect it from further damage while I research options!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

well in order to fix it and do a decent job your going to have to sand the entire hood and probably prime it well and then paint it agian....i dont really think there is any way to stop that kind of chipping....as for right now...its lasted this long it should last a little longer until you know what you are going to do?

Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's known as delamination. You will need to have the affected panel(s) repainted. Here is a concise explanation of why it happens.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Moridin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info rriddle and BG! I'm going to try to keep it covered and out of the elements for now, as my main concern is rust. Now to research sanding painting

Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Beginning Member
tiresmokindad is on a distinguished road

Thank you for informative post. I like it so much. I have the same problem as yours Moridin. Thanks for your post but i was wonder if the flare was even to blame for the problem at all or poor adhesive?.

Last edited by tiresmokindad; 06-17-2010 at 03:49 PM.