Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Bed liner bottom of doors,fenders, bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road
Default Bed liner bottom of doors,fenders, bumpers?

Happy Friday Eve Blazer Fans!! OK, so my 2000 is loosing a little paint at the bottom of the doors and on the rocker panels. What I would like to do is put LineX or Rhino Lining across the bottom and around the fenders and even the bumpers really. Never done anything like this before so: I know I need to sand the rusted areas and areas around it and clean it up real well. These are my questions: Do I need to bondo in the scratches made by the sandpaper? Do I need to prime before I spray the bedliner? I do not have painting equipment so what is the best kind of do it yourself bedliner to use? What kind of tape do I want to use to tape off the body above where I am treating? I know that this is a popular procedure, especially for offroaders and that is what I am going to build. Any pointers and past experience (success and failure) would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
bear159 is on a distinguished road

I have done this twice to my jimmy now, you don't have to bondo the scratches from sanding. The scratches help the paint or bedliner stick better.

I did not prime mine but it should say on the bedliner if you need it primed or not.

I used spray can bed liner and it worked out pretty good, you can get the roll on kind too, but it will be more expensive. I used rubberized rocker guard the first time but the rubber kept the moisture in and it rusted right through. So for the second time I used EZ liner and it works much better.

As for the tape you can just buy painters tape or masking tape it works the same and you can find it at most stores.

I hope this helps answer your questions. And just so you know I did the fenders, rear bumper, and lower sides of my jimmy. Its only been a week since I tried the EZ liner but it seems better then the rubberized rocker guard that I had on for a couple months.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Very helpful Bro! Thank you.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 AM
thedimeblazier is on a distinguished road

If you have the extra cash, or can wait til you have the extra cash, it would be alot better to find a Line-X dealer/shop, and have them do it. I know a few people who have had their whole truck Line-X'd, and they love it. And it lasts seemingly forever. One of them has had it on his truck for about 5 years, no fading, no chipping. And if you have it done professionally, you can get a warranty on it, so if it ever chips/peels, fades, or you screw it up doing something hateful, they'll fix it. Something to ponder.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks. I like the thought of a warranty, hadn't thought of that. There is a LineX dealer about 5 miles from my house. That LineX is some tough stuff. I also looked at a place near where I work that does Reflex spray on liner. The Reflex is not as rigid as the LineX. It is stiff pretty tough, just not as abrasive. Which really only makes a difference if you don't want to grind the flesh off of your knees crawling around in the bed of a pick up. Not really applicable to what I am thinking of doing. I am not completely locked into the idea of doing it myself though I would like to do as much of the customization, myself, as I can. I've got time to make a decision. Thanks for the input.