Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

spray on truck bed liner for roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default spray on truck bed liner for roof rack

In the springtime, i was going to either use herculiner or a spray on truck bed liner on the side rails. Would I be able to use the spray on truck bed liner to refinish the roof rack. The paint is kinda peeling off.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:43 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: spray on truck bed liner for roof rack

I dont see why not.... id take the rack off to spray it tho...lol

Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Of course I'd take it off. I just take out the screws and it just lifts off? I just wanted to make sure before I go ahead and do it.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member
blazinwoody is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, you can herculine just about anything. Even though herculiner is a roll on product, I know people who have sprayed it on. I herculined my YJ when I had it and it turned out great but the only problem is the hours I spent in prep time. It sucked.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably want to mask off the areas where it actually touches the roof just to make sure that the rough surface of the new material doesn't prohibit the water tight seal...

Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

The Herculiner is a good idea.

I was thinking last week of applying it to the front of the hood about where a bug deflector would go. My cab corners are rusting on my Ranger so I was thinking of running a strip from the fender, over the bottom of the door, and around the cab. Kind of like a stripe in black.

Now that I think of it, The outside bottom of the tailgate is getting rough too...

Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM

That;s a good idea. I'll have to remember that when I actually get around to doing it. Thanks swartlkk. Herculiner can be used for anything. The can says it bonds to plastic, metal, wood, and more.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Joey P. is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll want to do a good job of preppin what your spraying. I used some spray on liner and I didn't prep well enough although it said, "sticks to everything" it did not and ended up peeling off. I had to peel it all off and then rough sand everything because I didn't and then I sprayed it and it was fine after that. If you have any shiney spot on what your spraying, it won't stick.

BTW: 4lowlife, Paris hilton is a babe.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Joey P. you guys get pounded with snow like Denver?

You stated that you didn't prep it that good. Does this product require you to use like 60 grit paper? Enough to see the body panel?

I'm not sure how much snading one has to do.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Joey P. is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm like 60 miles from Denver, near Breckenridge. We've gotten a lot of snow but not all at once like Denver has.

As far as the sanding I did, I originally "scuffed" it up with a green 3M pad and then when I peeled it all off, I used, I think 80 grit, but I think it was probably 60. I don't have the vehicle anymore but it was the rocker panels below the door trim that I did this too and the paint was originally shiny and shiny just didn't cut it and the little bit of scuff that the 3M pad didn't either. I didn't go too mad on the 60 or 80 grit though. I didn't want any high or low spots because the spray on stuff will not hide that. You know, the gouges you'd get if you went too low on the paint because of a more aggresive sand.