Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Painting the bottom trim with bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
jtbwatson is on a distinguished road
Default Painting the bottom trim with bed liner

Hey there, I'm new to these forums.

I've got the idea of making my 2000 Blazer two-toned on the outside. I've got the ugliest red color that was available and am trying to get it looking better. I want to paint it with bed liner for the look, texture, and ruggedness. Here's a photoshopped picture of what I would want it to look like.

What are y'alls thoughts on this idea?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 PM
May One is on a distinguished road

I like the look of it and I was thinking about doing it myself. There was a guy with an S-10 that did that and he said besides some sun fading its holding up great.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Lots of people have done that. Check out rexmburns truck. He used monstaliner, looks great. I just ordered the kit today so I will join the club shortly lol.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the compliment 50!! Use the monstaliner its the only one that is UV protected and guaranteed not to fade like the others do. I've had my for 9 months now and it still looks killer the day I put it on check out my build for lots of pics and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Last edited by rexmburns; 09-12-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
check out my books for lots of pics and feel free to ask any quotations you may have.
Wow, yours is the exact idea that I had in mind! Were you able to do this yourself? If so, how much prep work went into it?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Wow I typed that from my phone and even I'm confused on what I meant lol!!! What it was suppose to say was check out my build thread for details and pictures. Yeah I did it myself. Prep work is the longest part but also the most important if you want it to look good when your finished.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Did you just do the traditional prep work and sand and tape the bottom off? Or did you remove the doors and go that route? Any help would be awesome.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I left the doors on but pulled the inner trim off so that I could paint inside the doors a bit just to keep the flow going when you open the doors. Here is the page in my build that has the pics from when I did it.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks man! It looks like I'll be removing the grill and the front bumper on my 2000, but it looks pretty simple. Just gotta sand it down. Now all I need is a free weekend to get started on it

The only thing that I'm worried about is that my drivers side door currently sags slightly and I have to sometimes try shutting it 2-3 times. I'm worried that it will catch and scrape if I do the bottom of the doorjamb.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Replace the door pins. You can pick them up dirt cheap a most autoparts stores and its eay to do just takes a couple minutes and an extra set of hands is most helpful. Do a search on here and you will find some tricks that people have used to get this accomplished!