Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Best Replacement Rear Bumper for 2001

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Beginning Member
M931A1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Never could find a CAPA certified bumper. took a chance and ended up with the bumper sold by LMC, which I think was both inexpensive and wonderful! Very nice, tough, and scratch free powder coat as well as heavy construction (especially for Taiwan made). Came wrapped in foam inside a nice heavy box. No brand name. Perfect fit IMHO.

Wife recently had a construction truck run into her and damage the passenger door (yes, it was hit yet again - only the door, but this time the door had to be replaced), so when it was in the body shop for repairs I got them to paint the new bumper for $130. I think it turned out really nice! Much better than if I had painted it. Transferred all the plastic pieces from my old bumper. So total cost to me for the bumper was about $280.

Ready to take the Blazer too when we take Avalanche to Monroe, MI near Detroit to have the Krown rustproofing done next month. Try to save it a little longer. Hopefully the tailgate won't start rusting out around the lock very soon. Maybe I should take the inside cover off and spray it down good with the oily Krown rustproofing material I was given in an aerosol can last year.

Got to thinking.... with all the little damages on both sides and the front, I bet most of the vehicle has been repainted to color match that pretty red paint. Except for top and tailgate. I bet it's not easy to match, but I always did like that color.

Hmmm.. looks like I need to pop the plastic completely down on the right side of the bumper.
Nice Blazer, just purchased an 04 with 35k miles. Want to add a rear receiver hitch. Does anyone know what the metal insert is near the passenger side of the license plate light on the factory rear bumper? I can't find a reference in the owners manual.

Thanks very much!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by M931A1
Nice Blazer, just purchased an 04 with 35k miles. Want to add a rear receiver hitch. Does anyone know what the metal insert is near the passenger side of the license plate light on the factory rear bumper? I can't find a reference in the owners manual.

Thanks very much!
The hole?

That's for 4 door models, for the spare that's kept underneath. You stick your tire iron flat end into and spin to let the spare drop down.

If yours is a 2 door, it doesn't have the tire hoist. The spare will be inside the cargo area or on an outside swing arm.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member
M931A1 is on a distinguished road

Great thanks very much!

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
The hole?

That's for 4 door models, for the spare that's kept underneath. You stick your tire iron flat end into and spin to let the spare drop down.

If yours is a 2 door, it doesn't have the tire hoist. The spare will be inside the cargo area or on an outside swing arm.