Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint, Body, & Interior (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/)
-   -   Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/changed-all-interior-lights-leds-direct-replacement-14082/)

S10Blazer 10-31-2007 05:36 AM

Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT.

So I went on ebay, and found this seller that has his own website. He sells many types of replacement LEDs. I did my whole interior with HID white LEDs. I did both front and back dome lights, all four map lights in the overhead console, both underneath the dash, both visors, and finally, the glove box. It looks like daytime at night in my truck. The only thing is, that i believe my truck, and the 95-97 blazers, have different housings for the map lights in the overhead consoles, than the 98 and up. So in my truck, i had to get a dremel, and sand down a bit of the map light housings, CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THEM as they are very fragile, and i was able to fit the 194 SMT bulbs that are on the website.

http://www.v-leds.com

btw, if you dont see the 194 smt bulbs on the link i posted, he's got to have them in his ebay store. just go on ebay, and type in "194 LED".

[IMG]local://upfiles/3653/63C8417C247F40C985F873CD58D711F9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3653/FAA022CB854E40D48DA3193B54A38E7A.jpg[/IMG]

blazinblack 10-31-2007 10:00 AM

RE: Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT.

i have a 2001 will they just pop right in or will i have to do some customizing? and it looks mint
[align=left] [/align]

S10Blazer 10-31-2007 10:13 AM

I have these currently in my map lights.
Map lights - eBay

And they are almost touching the lense in the housing. but they fit nicely. Now, I am not sure, because i have a '96, but im pretty sure the map lights are different than mine. My brother has a 2000, and he just popped in the standard size HID white leds from the same guy. They fit like the original bulb. However, if you want the bright ones, which are the SMT, you would have to measure, because they are much larger than a standard size bulb. I believe these are the measurements, on this link here. On my truck, the map lights have a kind of socket, that comes out with the whole lens of the map light, and I have to remove the bulb from the back of the lens. . On my brother's '00, all he had to do was pop off the little plastic clear lens, and pop the bulb right in. Although i think you will have enough room, just measure, to play it safe.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Fixed long link

lennyblazer 10-31-2007 09:05 PM

Looks good, I might have to do that to my map lights for a final touch to my Dash Blue LED conversion.

drperry 11-01-2007 03:08 AM

Looks good! Now you've just gotta do your dash and HVAC controls in the same color! lol

iceflames11 11-02-2007 01:59 AM

I've been doing the samething in my truck. Funny thing is, I have also been using v-leds and my seller. I gotta say, you arent kidding about daylight at night. These things are crazy bright!

drperry 11-02-2007 03:20 AM

I kinda wish I had the overhead console and map lights, just for the extra light when I use my truck for work!

lennyblazer 11-04-2007 08:07 PM

Yeah I was using V-LED's too.

EuroGoldLS 11-04-2007 08:19 PM

I'm gonna do the same thing soon. Can you make a list of all the different bulb numbers and the quantities of each?

lennyblazer 11-04-2007 08:56 PM

You should be able to look at auto replacement bulbs on sylvania's website, which will give you all the bulb numbers but not quanities. Here is a link to the page

EuroGoldLS 11-04-2007 09:48 PM

check that link. I'm getting 'object invalid' errors when i click it.

lennyblazer 11-04-2007 09:51 PM

Try this

thegr81 11-05-2007 12:30 AM

Looks sweet, something i have been thinking about doing for a while. There a very nice touch!!!!

EuroGoldLS 11-05-2007 04:53 PM

Thanks. That link works for me... I don't know why the other one didn't

drperry 11-05-2007 05:29 PM

The first link was to the bulb list itself, which for some reason, the site doesn't let you do... You've gotta do the whole search through the list thing...

S10Blazer 11-06-2007 02:31 AM

These are all of the bulbs that I currently have in my truck. But you should make sure that you have enough room if your truck is a different year. I have a '96. I believe the map lights on the 98+ have a different housing. I believe he has them in other colors too, but I prefer HID white.

4-map light bulbs

2-under dash lights

1-glove box light

2-front and rear dome light

and i forgot these:

4-sun visors

[IMG]local://upfiles/3653/F74BBEA89F204F9EB94A40844C0BBC2A.jpg[/IMG]

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-29-2007 05:20 AM

Bulb numbers are in the car manual, but some of them aren't, like the ones behind the 4x4 console. I had to have the guy at Autozone pull them up.

But, I have a '96 LS 4x4, too, and I've been meaning to change out those dull orange map lights. Those lights are pricey though, I just spent $70 on headlights. I'll wait it out.
Looks amazing though. And blue dash lights are def next for me, too. And maybe some blue leds under the dash to light up the floor.

drperry 12-29-2007 05:35 AM

It might be different for the 95 - 97's, but on the 98+ it's a little bulb, a T1.5, I think, on the end of a plastic stick, lol... Or soldered directly to the circuit board... I know the headlight switch has the bulb on a stick.

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-29-2007 10:21 PM

Looks great, can you give installation tips, for example taking out and installing the sun visor lights, front and rear dome lights and under dash lights?

At first I was thinking of getting neon lights for under the dash, but now I can just pop in some blue LED's into the factory whites.

drperry 12-29-2007 10:47 PM

The under dash lights should be plug and play... no special work involved... a 194 sized bulb should fit.

S10Blazer 12-29-2007 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

Looks great, can you give installation tips, for example taking out and installing the sun visor lights, front and rear dome lights and under dash lights?

At first I was thinking of getting neon lights for under the dash, but now I can just pop in some blue LED's into the factory whites.

The only bulbs that required a little more time and a lot more caution were the ones in the overhead console. As I have said, the housing in a 2000 is slightly different from the 1996. On the 2000, I believe you can just pop the bulb right in because there is only a round, chrome reflector that goes around the 194 bulb. On the other hand, my '96 map lights, plug into a tiny socket that then clicks into the bulb housing lens. I had to get a dremel, and sand down the inside of that plastic bulb housing lens. You have to be extremely careful when doing this, because if you sand down too fast for too long, you could break through and destroy the whole housing because it is a very thin plastic. The method I used, was that I would sand down the inside a little bit, then stop, and see if the LED bulb would go in. I kept doing that, until finally, (forcing the bulb in), I was able to get it inside the lens. Now, you might ask how I would take it out to replace it since it was forced in. Well, since the black tiny base of the 194 bulb clicks into the chrome bulb lens, it has 2 little tabs, 1 on each side. All I do is either grab a minature flat screw driver, and pop it right out or a pen and do the same. The LED's in the visors gave me a little trouble, because the standard bulb fell into the visor. I didn't want to hear a bulb shaking back and forth every time, so I had no choice but to take out the whole mirror out of the visor. You just pop off the little plastic lens with a small flat head screwdriver, and pop out the bulb. If you are careful, and do not drop the bulb like I did, then there will be no problem. The lights under the dash are simple plug and play. One important tip that I will give you is to take that bulb out when you are sitting in the driver's seat with all of the doors closed. You should never replace any of these bulbs with the doors open, because they will get heated, causing you to get burned. It is a little difficult, because you have to feel with your hand, but once you finally take the bulb out, putting the LED in is very simple. The dome light bulb is simple plug and play also. You just pop off the lens, and put the bulb in. However, on the rear dome light, I could not do it from the inside, but my rear trunk light has an On/Off switch. So I turned it off, and allowed it to cool down. Then, since I was using the 9 LED SMT bulb in that rear trunk light, it would not fit through the opening of the light. So what I did, was simply pop out the whole trunk light assembly. You can do this by popping off the small clear lens on it, and then simply sticking your fingers inside the lamp, and carefully pulling it out. I pulled out the whole light, and slipped the LED bulb through the side. Then I just popped the bulb right in, and put the lens back on.
For the light in the glove box, I wanted to make things a lot easier for me, and I just popped out the whole entire glove box. It would be impossible to install that LED through the tiny hole in which the glove box light shines through. So I simply took off every bolt on the glove box. Now let me say, that that small 194 bulb stays on for the whole time that you are taking out the glove box, so when you finally do have the glove box out, you need to hold that small button that shuts off the light bulb for quite a few minutes in order for the light bulb to cool down. Once it has cooled down, then remove the light bulb, and s

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-29-2007 11:50 PM

What about this?
http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=362
Will they fit under the dash?

S10Blazer 12-30-2007 12:20 AM

Those are the same exact ones that I have underneath my dash, only difference is mine are HID white.

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-30-2007 12:23 AM

Good enough, atleast I know they'll run since we both have the '96.:D

S10Blazer 12-30-2007 12:32 AM

Yea, plus they're really bright. It's 25 high power LED's. lol

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-30-2007 12:32 AM

Great information, sounds very easy, especially with a lot of information.
I'm just changing out my map lights, both lights under dash, and both dome lights. The glove box doesn't matter to me since I never open it. Thanks though!

S10Blazer 12-30-2007 12:33 AM

No problem. Post some picks up when you're done.

dimmuborgir6nik6 12-30-2007 12:38 AM

Definitely will. I'm ordering 4 map lights, 2 dome lights and 2 dash lights now.
Now to get the chrome racing pedals and give them a little shine with the lights.

S10Blazer 12-30-2007 12:45 AM

Sounds good.

dimmuborgir6nik6 01-04-2008 11:24 PM

Alright, got my bulbs in the mail today.
I just need to find a dremel to sand down the bulb housings inside the map lights. I taped sand paper to a drill bit and tried sanding down the plastic but it took too long. Also, the bulbs under the dash, do you unscrew the entire bulb? Or just pull the bulb out? I was having some trouble trying to unscrew it.

drperry 01-05-2008 04:57 AM

I can't remember what bulb number it is for those...

But it should either just pull out, or you'll have to push in and twist for it to come loose...

dimmuborgir6nik6 01-05-2008 08:05 AM

Alright, because I was twisting it normally and it didn't budge. Can't even get a good look at the way the bulb is in from the angle, but I gotta try again. And the dome lights are the same? Just pop them out?

lennyblazer 01-05-2008 11:20 AM

What I did with the ones in the footwell, was to take all that plastic down and then actually took the housing down that holds the light. If I recall correctly you just have to pull it out. They are real stubburon though. Good luck.

drperry 01-05-2008 03:23 PM

The dome lights, you should be able to see once you get the lens off... Unless you mean the map/console lights, in which case, I can't help, because I don't have those, lol.

If the foot well bulbs are 168s then they just pull out... They SHOULD be in a 2nd gen... the 1st gen are the old school push & twist style...

lennyblazer 01-05-2008 11:41 PM

yep the 168's are the same base as a 194, which is more common in LED bulbs. The maplights in the newer gen 2 trucks are easy, just need a 194 bulb pull the old one out and push the new one in and your good to go. Which now that I remember is the exact same way the floor courtesy lights are.

dimmuborgir6nik6 01-06-2008 03:40 AM

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

What I did with the ones in the footwell, was to take all that plastic down and then actually took the housing down that holds the light. If I recall correctly you just have to pull it out. They are real stubburon though. Good luck.
Yeah, I kept the housing in and just felt my way around. Took me a while and was getting frustrated, but I did it and it looks great. Red LED's light up the floor. I'll get pics when my I find my camera battery charger.

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

yep the 168's are the same base as a 194, which is more common in LED bulbs. The maplights in the newer gen 2 trucks are easy, just need a 194 bulb pull the old one out and push the new one in and your good to go. Which now that I remember is the exact same way the floor courtesy lights are.
Yeah..only problem is I have the '96, so I have to find a dremel and do the required sanding so I can fit the lights in. [&:]

lennyblazer 01-06-2008 12:52 PM

Yeah I was routing some wires under the plastic for my fuzz buster and iPod connector. So I just took down the plastic, then it was easier to see the bulb socket.

Oh and I have decided to order 4 HID White LED's for the maplights and then some new Blue LED's for the courtesy lights (the ones that come on when a door is opened). I'll post up some pics when I get them installed.

quinnman105 01-07-2008 10:27 AM

Thats sick looking.....

dimmuborgir6nik6 01-08-2008 02:11 PM

I need to post some pics too. I have 2 red LEDs under the dash, looks awesome, and white LEDs in both dome lights.
The maplights are annoying, you have to sand down the plastic a lot. It took me so long to do one bulb and I didn't even finish it, so I threw the old bulb back in and put it in the truck.
:/

FirehawkNS 01-29-2008 01:29 PM

Have been doing this very thing. Thanks for the site that had better prices then what I was buying.