Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Clear Coat Repair

Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
AGirelli is on a distinguished road
Default Clear Coat Repair

I just got my 2001 army green blazer back from the pro at the body shop where he spent today wet sanding and buffing out some minor scrapes and scratches. Mostly things look good, but when trying to wet sand a key scratch, he claims he just touched the car and there was little to no clear coat in that area. This left a small oval (bigger than a peanut M&M but smaller than an egg) area that is discolored and kind of looks burned. The area feels smooth, but I am pretty disappointed about the discoloration. Is there anything I can do to restore the look of this one small area?

I also have a few remaining minor clear coat scratches I would like to make disappear. There are products out on the internet (easyscratchrepair.com) that make tempting claims. Are they for real?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda in the same situation. I recently did some touch up paint with a separate clear coat, I must have sanded too hard and now I have hazing around the scratch. So tomorrow I'm going to try to find 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper and some polishing compound.

You could probably sand the clear coat scratches yourself with some fine sand paper

Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginning Member
AGirelli is on a distinguished road
Default Picture of Damage

I attached a pic of the damage hoping it may help someone know how to fix it. thanks to anyone who looks.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Coat Repair-damage.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

not sure how to fix that. but it looks like someone was sanding a bit to hard

Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

If you're through the clear you can't fix it without having it recleared. It's dull because there is no clear and it won't shine right no matter what you do. Clear is what gives you the gloss.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I would say have the panel/door repainted. This'll do two things: 1) fix the clearcoat 2) fix the scratches that you were trying to fix in the first place.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 PM
nobody500 is on a distinguished road

Check it out, your clear looks like it is worn through in that place, you will have to re clear it. When you clear you usually have to do the whole panel because it is very difficult to to blend the new clear into the old, but it can be done by a few tricks that I have learned. Do you have access to a pro paint gun and compressor? I can walk you throuhg how to do minor spot repairs with minimal cost.