Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
franklin is on a distinguished road
Default Cracked

I have a 1997 chevy blazer 4wd 4 door. The problem I have with it is the body is cracked around the driver's front door striker. and has a hole in it the size of my pinkie finger. There is no rust at all just cracked and a small hole, upagaist the striker. I am afraid of the door stricker pulling away from the body when I close and open my door. I am looking for a none expenise way to repair this with out going to the body shop. I am wondering if anybody ever ran into this before and if I could go to a welding shop to have a small plate welded over the damaged area and reattched the striker?? There is not much holding the striker on and it gets worse the more i drive it.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Can you post some pics so we can have a look.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 AM
RICHIT is on a distinguished road

Is your door hanging? Happened to my brothers 94 blazer that had the drivers door hanging..If so you will need to fix the door hang first, then maybe you can have the crack welded...

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This has been discussed before. If you want it fixed properly, first fix the door hinges, then weld up the cracked metal and refinish. If you only fix the cracked metal around the door latch pin, the problem will likely reoccur. The underlying cause is the hinge pins/bushings are worn out and the door is sagging putting undo stress on the latch pin.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Starting Member
rozzanojs is on a distinguished road
Default Same issue

I am having the same issue but worse. I plan on replacing door pins before I get this fixed, but I don't know where to take it to get it fixed. Any ideas would be grateful. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Cracked-dsc02373.jpg  

Last edited by rozzanojs; 03-18-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
packer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rozzanojs
I am having the same issue but worse. I plan on replacing door pins before I get this fixed, but I don't know where to take it to get it fixed. Any ideas would be grateful. Thanks
just make sure to look closely at ur hinges be cause i have a saggay door problem replaced the pins and bushings and it did not help the holes in the hinges r worn enough to warrant the replacing of the hinge . and dormanproducts.com sells a bolt on kit . WORKS GREAT !!!