Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

first gen tail gate lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I found mine,took it apart and everything was shredded. damn.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

LOL same thing that happened to mine, and mine is a OEM lock.

Thanks for checking though, much appreciated

but one thing we did learn from all of this, a good upgrade for these locks would be to take them apart, and make a plate that holds the springs down that fits in tighter thna the ones that they come with. then it wont pop up from the pressure from the springs causing it all to get wrapped around inside of the lock, and they will last. LOL

Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Yea,ive gone through 2 or 3 aftermarkets. they just get to where they dont lock anymore. So far this one i have now has held out. My dads lock doesn't lock,but turns smoothly,so once he changes his out il check the springs etc and if you still need em il contact ya.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, I am going to be hitting up the locksmith on saturday to see if they have parts there for it. Crossing my fingers there. When I checked this one at the yard, it locked, but turned hard, i thought nothing of it, added some lube. did not help it, then eventually it stopped locking. Took it apart and found it like that LOL

But taking these locks apart, no wonder they stop working, even the OG locks like this one, There is not much to them on the inside, you put the key in, it raises the pins, and some small metal block goes into the lock so it can turn freely, It just looks like they would break easy, like if someone REALLY wanted to get into the truck, just a hard turn of it would break it.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran

Well, I stopped by the lock smith, and they had the springs and the cover that holds the springs down, they seemed amazed that i was doing this on my own, and they said that if it ends up working, that I can go back there for a job.

Well, it looks like I am going back there for a job, the gate is locking perfectly.

2 bucks for the springs and the plate, not bad to have it locking again, so if yours is not working, go to the lock smith, they can even put them in for you if you are not confident, while i was there one of their guys that has been there for years showed me where to take a small screwdriver and push down on the plate to hold it in place to keep it from popping up ever again.