Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Front driver door doesn't close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011 | 08:09 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Man this is great and in such detail man this really helps me. I was going to do mine today,But changing my tranny filter took up the small amount of time I had to do the job in. At least now Ive got this to refer to when I get around to it!"Thanks sorell"

Old 07-16-2011 | 10:21 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, be prepared though. Took me over an hour cause mine were so seized; replacing the door and ended up torching the door off for easier access to the pins. It would be super easy if there was enough space for a proper hammer swing (or not super seized pins).

My new door doesn't line up though after taking off my old one, cutting off a hinge and welding it back on, 1/4" down in the morning

Old 07-17-2011 | 12:17 PM
Starting Member
Sorell is an unknown quantity at this point

One more post on this one,

I changed out my door with a Moab edition one. The bottom hinge on the replacement door is 1/4in lower than my stock door so had to cut inbetween the hinge and frame, close the door to align it and weld it on in place, where it should be; really not too hard and a lot easier than paying a body shop.

After I fixed the hinge and had everything aligned though, I called everywhere in Calgary and no shop carries the hinge spring compressor. I just put the spring in a vise and used about 8 zip ties all around to hold it closed, put it in the hinge and cut the zip ties; worked awesome without much screwing around. Very easy cheap fix... probably on the forum somewhere already but I couldn't find it.

Pictures show the ziptied spring with all the straps cut to fit but one for easier placement into the hinge, other pic is the spring in the hinge before cutting the zipties

Attached Thumbnails Front driver door doesn't close?-img_1492.jpg   Front driver door doesn't close?-img_1496.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012 | 12:17 PM
mjgraham is on a distinguished road
Default both doors f'ed up

Both of my front doors hang badly and need new hinges. but i can only find the door hinges for the driver side. anyone know where I can get the passenger side hinges. rock auto has the driver side for the cheapest price i can find. about $40 each.

Also anyone have any advice on aligning the door and hinges. I Don't want to go through all that work and "F" it up.

Old 01-23-2012 | 08:39 PM
Beginning Member
Jhowey is on a distinguished road

I know it has been awhile since this thread was added to but I am about to take on the task of replacing my hinge pins and searched the internet. I found a You Tube video showing how to do it and also how to compress the Hold-Open Spring without having the Spring Compressor. The tech in the video put the spring in a vise and slowly compressed it in the vise and then put 3 cable locks (zip ties) around the compressed spring. This kept it compressed and he then put it in the door. He cut two of the cable locks (zip ties) and that left the spring start to expand. He didn't cut the last one but said that the pressure of the spring would soon break the last cable tie (zip lock). I think I will see what the spring compressor costs if it is available to buy.