Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

GM Step bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:47 PM
KelownaBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default GM Step bars

I just bought some (used) GM step bars for my 2005 blazer. I figured out that the front is mounted using the body mounting bolts. Now can anyone tell me if you use the stock bolts or did these come with a longer body mount bolt? Is there a washer that is mounted between the step bar and the bolt? I'm just wondering if I'm missing any hardware that I have to track down.
I have alsdo figured out the the parking brake cable is threaded through the rear bracket and the bracket has the u-bolt that is somehow threaded through the frame.
Am I on the right track here? I really wish I had some pictures to help me out with this. I'd post pictures of the step bars but Photobucket is doing weird things tonight and I cant access or upload pics right now.

Old 08-23-2012 | 07:44 PM

I got the pictures of the step bars now:

Ignore the broken mount on the one step, I've already had it welded.
I tried to mount them up this afternoon but I have discouvered thet the stock body mount bolts are 1/2" (10mm) too short so I'll have to find new ones. while I was under the truck I checked the mounting for the rear. This I am completly stumped on. I can't find anything that the u-bolt on the rear will fit into unless they expect me to drill holes into the frame. Anyone got Ideas?

Old 08-23-2012 | 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Silly question but uh, are you sure you have L & R on the proper side?
I've never mounted nerf bars or anything of the like but if you have to drill holes, I say drill them.
By the looks of them the tube end fits into a place in the frame I'd assume & the other bracketed end mounts on something higher & because of the reach of the extra brackets, would they mount behind the frame ot into it?
Like I said, never mounted them before, just looking & offering 'outside' ideas.

Old 08-26-2012 | 09:52 AM

After a bit more studying of the bars I have figured out how they go. Rottidog, you are right. I will have to drill one hole on each side. There is a pre-existing 1" hole for the one side of the u-bolt, and I'll have to drill the other. I also ordered 2 new body mound bolts and they should be here in a few days. The originals are 85mm long and my new ones are 100mm long (stronger grade too) .
I'll post pics when it's installed.