Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Beginning Member
2000Bansheeboy is on a distinguished road
Default Painting!

Hey guys. I was wondering what kinda paint I should use to just kinda get a new color on my truck without sending it to a crazy shop and pay a ton of money? I dont know if I wanna just spray can it all really, I want something kinda durable, and an excuse to get the rust off haha! I'm really lookin at a flat/matte black color or maybe even doing my own camo paint job. Just wondering how I should prep it and paint it myself for cheap

Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member

anyone wanna help or was it too dumb a question?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

eh... my personal opinion is that if you dont want to pay alot take it to a cheap paint shop (Maaco) their worst paint job would prolly look better than spray caning it... i personally cant stand DIY auto paint jobs

Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Beginning Member

ya this thing aint gonna be a purdy one though. I just wanna cover the body rust and make an excuse to paint it black and ding out some of the dents that came from the previous owners blowout...

Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

The bulk of the cost associated with a paint job is the prep work. You can get a decent paint job at Maaco, Earl Shibe, etc. if you just do all the prep yourself. Or you can save most of the cost of a really good paint job by doing the prep yourself. Painting a vehicle takes skill. I fail to understand how people think they can paint their own car. Do you do your own surgery? Do you grow your own corn? Do you produce your own electricity?

Do yourself a favor. Don't try to rattle can it, or paint it yourself. You'll end up wasting your time, wasting your money, and devalueing your ride.

Last edited by MrJP; 01-04-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by MrJP
The bulk of the cost associated with a paint job is the prep work. You can get a decent paint job at Maaco, Earl Shibe, etc. if you just do all the prep yourself. Or you can save most of the cost of a really good paint job by doing the prep yourself. Painting a vehicle takes skill. I fail to understand how people think they can paint their own car. Do you do your own surgery? Do you grow your own corn? Do you produce your own electricity?

Do yourself a favor. Don't try to rattle can it, or paint it yourself. You'll end up wasting your time, wasting your money, and devalueing your ride.
haha I want her either matte black or my dad suggested camo, and every one of those paint jobs I've ever seen was spray canned ya know? And I plan to hold onto this for quite a while really.
And I guess I wanna know how I'd be wasting my time or money on this? And i'm not sayin that in the offensive way, I mean why do you say that?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean no offense, but rattle can paint is not of the same quality of even the paint used at a Maco. And the prep work associated with painting a vehicle is way too extensive to half @$$ paint a vehicle. It's your ride, and your money, but if you aren't going to do it right, well, I don't mean to offend. So I'll just wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member

I just figured that I see all those cars and trucks with the decent obviously spray canned jobs and they look better than scratches and rust ya know? I totally get what you're sayin though. But I forgot that my friend paint their rock crawlin jeep lime green with some spray on stuff or something and it's holdin GOOD, so I may try it