Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting the Rim

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member
Sincavage is on a distinguished road
Default Painting the Rim

does any one have any good tips on painting my rim , like what sand paper to use on it or not to use stuff like that

Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Lots of people around have painted theres...theres a bunch of threads already going on painted rims and how to.

I just used your basic sand paper. I'm not sure of the grit (can't remember) but something fairly tough to start off, then get progressively lighter between coats. The key to painting your rim is making sure it's sanded properly and doing enough coats. I'd recommend 2 coats of primer (sand in between) and 2-3 coats of paint on top of that. I'd recommend a good quality paint. They have a high intensity wheel coating paint. I believe Duplicolor makes it. That's what I used on my rims and it turned out great.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Go to Duplicolor's website, they have a complete step by step on how to paint wheels.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member
edin351 is on a distinguished road

80 grit gets paints off pretty good

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
Sincavage is on a distinguished road

thanks all but when i was at the junk yard this past friday my buddy need a rear for his 94 blazer he did have a nice one in there he just to lazy to see if there any thing good to save from it ,i am thinking about seeing if the lock are still good. but back to what i was saying when i was there i seen a sweet pair of camaro rims

Old 04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

I am seriously considering painting my rims black...has anyone done this to rims like mine? Any thoughts on how they would look? Maybe polishing the inside of the "swirly" bits. Kind-of reversing the layout with a semi-gloss black.

My other thought is to replace all 4 with the steel spare rims and paint them solid black. I'm really leaning towards that when I get the cash.

Last edited by BlaziNator; 04-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I don't care for black wheels on light blue rides. I like the rims as they are, or some other polished rims. But taste is personal and it's your ride so you are the one who needs to be happy.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Well, one of these days............far from now......I hope to re-paint it flat OD green with White spray-painted stencil style numbers and lettering. Then the steel black rims. Like an old military transport. Random numbers and letters on the fenders and everything...White stars on the front doors and hood...but I digress.

Thanks for the input. I'm still on the fence myself, just looking for second opinions.