Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting the Underside of my Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Baja Blazer 85 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!

I just finnished the front half today.

Again, I went to Kragen and got myself 4 cans of the same paint and parts cleaner.

Here's a few before shots:

Again, I cleaned it the same way as last time. Washed, degreased, washed, sanded the paint surface.

I went ahead and removed the brake rotors and pads altogether instead of bagging them for protection.

NOW....this is what happenes when you dont clean the painting surface properly!

Now, it isnt nessicary to make your paint job spotless on your frame rails, but remember this....the better the paint job is, the longer it will last. So it will be worth it to strip the paint and start again in this case...

Same goes for moisture under the paint

When painting calipers, it is important to protect the inner piston from paint, and moisture while you have the pads and rotor removed when painting

An old rag will suffice.

Finnishing up...it would be a good idea to apply a thicker coat of paint over contact points (such as jack points and bumpstops), the back of fenderwells where rocks can hit the surface like bullets, and high temperature areas like the brake calipers, drums, and exhaust.

Done! When the paint dried to the touch, I went ahead and lightly hosed down the area to clear off any dirt or grease left by re-assembly. It just looks better.

Dont forget it takes 8+ hours for the paint to fully cure, so try not to get too giddy for a test drive immidiatly.

The entire job cost me around $76, and 16 hours of labor. And so worth it. The truck looks 1,000,000 times better IMO (you can sorta see the gross frame rails from before in my signature) and the paint will protect the frame for miles and miles to come.

Last edited by Baja Blazer 85; 08-09-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks fantastic! Nice work!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Pretty sweet =D

Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Damn Dude.... If you Ever find yourself in Peoria, IL with some time to kill... come find me... I will let you make mine look as pretty as yours lol....

Anyone near peoria wanna help me do this?

Can I request a complete step by step procedure?