Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Plastic dip or bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member
Nick101 is on a distinguished road
Default Plastic dip or bed liner

I have a 94 chevy s10 blazer and want to bed line or plastic dip the bottom of my doors and few other places. Give me your input on which on is better here are a fews question I have for both.
Would black look good with forest green?
Bed liner
Roll on or spray can for a cheap budget?
Does a spray can give texture?
Plastic dip
When it drys it's it like hard plastic?
Spray can good plastic dip?

Last edited by Nick101; 07-18-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:09 PM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I can't compare bedliner to plastidip but I have used both kinds of bedliner. The spray on stuff does have some texture. Its somewhere between regular paint and roll on bedliner. Just be aware that the cans don't cover as much as a can of paint.

The roll on bedliner seems pretty indestructible. I replaced my carpet with it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's very textured and I guess you could say its like hard plastic but with a little bit of give to it. If that makes sense.

As for black with forest green I say go for it. My Blazer is dark green and the black looks great with it.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by smaiwald
I can't compare bedliner to plastidip but I have used both kinds of bedliner. The spray on stuff does have some texture. Its somewhere between regular paint and roll on bedliner. Just be aware that the cans don't cover as much as a can of paint.

The roll on bedliner seems pretty indestructible. I replaced my carpet with it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's very textured and I guess you could say its like hard plastic but with a little bit of give to it. If that makes sense.

As for black with forest green I say go for it. My Blazer is dark green and the black looks great with it.
Thank you very much and do you have pictures of your blazer ?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

plastidip isn't hard or rough, it's rubbery. I plastidipped my grill and emblems and they're still covered without chipping or anything. The thing with plastidip is that once one little spot "chips," since its a rubber coating, it sort of peels away. However, it is possible to patch

Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 01 Jimmy SLE
plastidip isn't hard or rough, it's rubbery. I plastidipped my grill and emblems and they're still covered without chipping or anything. The thing with plastidip is that once one little spot "chips," since its a rubber coating, it sort of peels away. However, it is possible to patch
Thank you I think I'm going to go with bed liner becuse there's could be rocks hitting that area where I'm wanting to put it

Old 07-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

Another thing is, is that Plastidip is completely reversible. If you don't like the look, just peel it off

Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 01 Jimmy SLE
Another thing is, is that Plastidip is completely reversible. If you don't like the look, just peel it off
What would you put on plastic dip or bed liner if you new there could be rocks and stuff hitting them

Old 07-19-2014, 08:16 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Nick101
What would you put on plastic dip or bed liner if you new there could be rocks and stuff hitting them
Bedliner is made to take abuse. My rule of thumb is go with bedliner for functionality, go with plastidip for something "to show off." Your rocker panels are for function, so I went with bedliner. I used a gallon bucket of bedliner and had plenty left over afterwards. The roll-on stuff is bulletproof like mentioned above. Rocks, twigs, mud, it all comes off of bedliner from my experience. Just take your time. Everything is in the prep work. Use several layers of liner.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by tibby
Bedliner is made to take abuse. My rule of thumb is go with bedliner for functionality, go with plastidip for something "to show off." Your rocker panels are for function, so I went with bedliner. I used a gallon bucket of bedliner and had plenty left over afterwards. The roll-on stuff is bulletproof like mentioned above. Rocks, twigs, mud, it all comes off of bedliner from my experience. Just take your time. Everything is in the prep work. Use several layers of liner.
Thank you I'm going to go with bed liner I think

Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

Here are a couple pictures of roll-on vs spray on for your consideration. Sorry it took so long to upload these.

Roll-on. This isnt as close as the spray on but you can see the texture.

Attached Thumbnails Plastic dip or bed liner-th_2014-06-21151527_zps0b74cc68.jpg