Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Using bed liner on brush guard

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using bed liner on brush guard

How smooth does bed liner get? My brush guard has some serious rust and i'd like to repaint it with something fairly rugged. I've heard a lot about Rhino liner and how you can beat the P*** out of it and it stays in tackt. Any opinions?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member
duvall45 is on a distinguished road

I happen to be doing the exact same thing now. I went cheep and used rustolum spray on bed liner then coated it with clear lacquer. I painted a brush guard which will be mounted this weekend and nerf bars that have been on for about 2 weeks. They look great!! The pro stuff would be much stronger but I had to buy tires so I went cheep, maybe get it re-done in a couple of years. Mine has some texture to it but I think that it looks better that way and it hides imperfections from the rust. I would compare it to about 400 grit sand papper.

Last edited by duvall45; 09-17-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The DIY kits are a bit less durable but they are smoother than the rhino and line x spray ins. Most of the time when they spray on panels and bumpers they can do a smoother finish than say a bed where you want something with bite. If you do have it done make sure it can be touched up instead of having to be stripped and totally redone. I don't know how it today but rhino liner used to make their stuff where it would not stick to itself once cured and to fix a scratch or something it had to be stripped and the whole part redone. I think line x would stick to itself. I would still check cause that stuff is a major PITA to take off.

I done the DIY stuff on my bumpers I built and its been holding up for about a year now just fine.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

I painted my hitch with the spray on rustolum bed liner

Here's how it looked
https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-body-interior-39/painted-hitch-today-its-done-pics-34471/

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Sweet, thanx for the info guyz! I'll probably go with something in rattlecan form just for the ease of use, and it doesn't have to survive a nuclear war or anything just brush and salt. Nice paint job The_Beast, I like the mat finish, looks pretty cool.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Starting Member
Blazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i sparyed all my stuff with liner, brush gaurd, roof rack, step bars and rear tire carrier. i used some stuff with tefflon in it, it's real bumpy but looks tuff as hell.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I've been wanting to spray my spare tire carrier and the bush guards I have on the back of my truck for a while. They're just starting to rust pretty bad again (it looks like it was spot painted before I bought it). Bed liner is an interesting thought. I might do that instead of just re-painting it every year.
I don't know anything about the spray on bedliner though...how hard is it to apply? Is it just one can or is there different layers like the actual bed liner stuff?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM

how easy is it to sand the rattle can stuff? I'm also thinking about painting the under body too (this wouldn't be sanded) and my hitch (this would). Thinking I could just get some of the thicker stuff, spray it on and hit it 400-600 grit or something, any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

When I did mine I used 60 grit, I didn't really care about finish too much but it turned out quite nice

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34471