Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Re-painting Rear Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
bflobatman is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ever tried painting the chrome bar in the grill? I have a black ZR2... The only chrome I want is on my rims lol

Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bflobatman
Has anyone ever tried painting the chrome bar in the grill? I have a black ZR2... The only chrome I want is on my rims lol
Actually, we painted my buddy's Tahoe grille and front bumper the same night. They were both chrome and we painted them pewter. Lightly sanded the chrome with 600 grit sandpaper and sprayed very light, even coats until it was finished. after the paint we put a couple coats of clear on it. Looks like it was a factory paint job.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past

that looks pretty slick

Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I dunno what it is, but color matching grilles on the pewter trucks just doesn't look good IMO. There's something that just doesn't fit about it. But either way, as long as your buddy is happy thats all the matters. No chrome is an improvement no matter how it's done. Looks like a good paint job. And I want your buddies truck lol. I love the Tahoe's

Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Beginning Member
Blazerkid19 is on a distinguished road

idk about the grille but im gonna try the rear trim panel around the windows. my blazer is a "victory red" so duplicolor should help. aside from wet sanding, is there a way to get better adhesion to the plastic? ive had a few experiences where it worked and where it failed. but the idea of having the trim match is amazing. what about the grille? any ideas on what i should do for mine. i have a 96 with the composite beam squares. my trucks body is red with roll on bed liner on the bumpers and rocker panels (that i proudly did my self) any ideas???

Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

As far as paint adhesion goes, prepping is key. Be sure to sand and use a good primer. That'll make a world of difference.

For the grille.. I didn't even sand mine. I just washed it down and painted it and it was good to go.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

jeeze after seeing how vortecs trims turned out i''m a little nervous to do mine now lol (power sander primer, bondo, primer, even a buddy of mine who works for maaco is gonna come over and "advise" me lol*more like hover and get in my way* have practices on, as silly as it seems pieces of lumber..small ones gives you a good feel for what effort you need to do...thinking of going to the scrap yard picking up some trims and doing them as practice too, might be expensive practice the trims run 30-50$s a piece at my fave junk yard but hey i'll know whats going on and how to REALLY do it..debating on doing my grille too...not sure emrald green would look as good with the rest of the truck as pewter tan does..*shrugs* any tips or advice...since i'm kinda just going into all this (body mods) on a whim.?