Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rear cargo area mod??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default rear cargo area mod??

ok, well since i have the rear tire carrier on and the space where the tire was under the rear cargo area is empty, here is my thought.

has anyone actually cut away a portion of the cargo area floor and dropped in something like the pan that would carry and spare in...say a car trunk.
i am thinking that would be good use of wasted space and free up my cargo space. i carry tool boxes and such and they have become permanent fixtures in the rear...so i figure i can cut away floor...drop in / make a space to carry this junk and then slide plywood with carpet / hinge over the space and...taaa daaa space saved...area cleaned up.

my only concern is there for any reason (i cant think of one) a structural issue with doing this?? am thinking of staying well within the frame line.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

that's not a bad idea.... I know about an inch or 2 under the floor there is the tire support not sure if that has structural value or not. I was scheming on mounting a compressor under there for some train horns...

Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it has been done, check through some blazers on cardomain.com i have scene a couple on there that created rather large storage under there. idk about a tire if you are running anything bigger then stock. and as far as strenth i would not worry about it the flooring is thin and doesnt do anything for that. a good solid pan would probley improve the strenth of it.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i figure i could make it at least the same size the tire was. the only hang up i have is that the tire being gone makes for great working room back there underneath.
but i do like the idea of space saving...thanks for the car domain tip i will check it out.