Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing valance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
^^^

I left mine on because everything underneath was aging and a little rusty. If I would of taken the valence off, it wouldn't have been as pretty! =P

But I was wondering about the cooling issue with the valence as well as with a body lift on. Because when you do a body lift, you are really supposed to lower the radiator for cooling purposes. But I lowered the radiator with my body lift and left the valence on and the truck seems to be properly cooled, so I can't complain.
That's the point. You lower the rad to keep it matched to the engine fan.
The valence forces airstream under the truck which siphons hot air out from the engine area by venturi effect at highway speeds.
This gets tricky.. guys on the TBird site have noted what happens to cooling at speed when they dont replace the air-dam which commonly gets ripped away by parking curbs. Putting the air dam back on increases radiator efficiency at speed because the venturi effect isnt enough.. need to create a real vacuum under the car.
Check out NASCAR front ends, not that low just for high speed traction.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Ohh, I didn't know that. I don't drive the highway much, actually yesterday was the first highway driving my blazer saw.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I have driven 10k miles with mine removed and have seen zero difference in engine temp. I do allot off hwy and city with heavy traffic driving and there has been no difference. The plastic valence won't protect anything offroad either. I suppose if you don't have skids it may help protect the oil filter from a stray rock or something on the hwy. I personally just don't think it does anything but add some cosmetic difference either good or bad depending on your personal opinion.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I have driven 10k miles with mine removed and have seen zero difference in engine temp. I do allot off hwy and city with heavy traffic driving and there has been no difference. The plastic valence won't protect anything offroad either. I suppose if you don't have skids it may help protect the oil filter from a stray rock or something on the hwy. I personally just don't think it does anything but add some cosmetic difference either good or bad depending on your personal opinion.

Agreed