Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

repainting door sill

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default repainting door sill

I just got my stainless steel blazer door sill plates in today. My question is before I put them on, I want to give the door sill a fresh coat of paint cause when my door pins started to give, it scratched up the sills really bad. The drivers side is worse than the passenger side. I have automotive gloss black in my garage, or should I use something different. Then how many clear coats is enough. I will mask off the area definitely, I've had a bad experience with overspray before on my old car.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: repainting door sill

what kind of clear are you trying to use? I take it the gloss black is from a spray paint can?? GLOSS black shouldn't need clear.

Also, why paint them if your gonna cover them up??

sorry didn't see your other post on what they looked like till just now. I would seriously take is somewhere and have it done, you don't want to make it look horrible on a DIY job with spray paint.

Edit by rabbit0102030- Combined consecutive posts.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, I would never use spray paint on my ride if I wanted it to look good. If it is really that bad then just take it to a shop to have it taken care of.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Something like the door sills, I wasn't afraid to try the duplicolor paint. If I ever needed anything outside the truck, I would def not do it myself. I think I might get a quick coat next summer. I have a Maaco gift certificate my parents gave me for christmas years ago for my cavalier. Can't paint that now, so I might just have the dings and scratches taken care of next summer when I have vacation time.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the other post where you did the work yourself, it looks really good. You did a good job for spray paint! Loving those door sills!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually capable of painting an entire vehicle out of duplicolor spray cans and make it look like a $6,000 paint job, with 0 orange peel, streaks, etc. Trick is largely in the spraying technique but mostly in your wet-sanding and buffing skills. So, I could actually do a $6,000 paint job for $40

And I must admit I'm proud of myself! So, if anyone doesn't believe me, I'll just have to post pictures!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM

You can buy those spray can attachments at Wal-Mart for like a couple bucks and it fans out the spray wider and more evenly for a better coat with no drip marks. I used that on some of the parts on my old car with primer and then black and it came out pretty good.