Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

repairing small rust holes

Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default repairing small rust holes

Ok so here is the deal, the only rust holes on my jimmy is right behind the front wheels on the rockers, and then one behind the drivers side rear wheel, the holes are littlerally like 1"x1" maybe 1.5x1.5" at the most.

I have checked around to EVERY car person I know that has a welder or would know someone. and they are all honestly beating around the bush and not really wanting to help me patch in some new sheet metal. And since I do not have a welder, or the outlet to power one if i borrowed one from someone.

What is the next "best" thing that I could do to fix these spots.
Once they are fixed I am going to be bed lining below the body trim, and bumpers

Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Well, I finally found someone that has a welder that is going to let me use it to weld in some new sheet metal on the tiny holes on the rockers and right behind the drivers rear wheel...

My next question is, hopefully someone will have an answer to this one.

What gauge sheet metal should i get for the patch work?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The problem with rocker panels is by the time you see pin holes on the outside the inside has started to rust so badly the panel needs replaced. I would just buy new rockers, remove yours, and fix the problem now. Just trying to weld in new metal on rusty metal doesn't do anything. In a year or 2 the same thing will pop back up unless you get it all now.

The rear fender is a different story. You can most likely get to the back side of that to clean it and weld in a filler just fine. I use stock fenders I have that are too dented to make small filler panels. My guess the factory gauge is 16 or 18 for the first gens. Been known to use some a lil thicker if I had some scrap laying around that's just about the right size.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM
BF Veteran

All I am able to find is "slip" on rocker repair panels, which basically would be doing the same thing as repairing the hold, right? Since all that does is cover up the old rocker with the "cover"

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM

Don't guess I've ever seen slip on rockers.

Lmc carries rockers, most any local body shop should be able to get them for you (and cheaper than "Likes My Cash")

Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
BF Veteran

That is where I looked was LMC, and they are "slip on" rockers, and every where else I have searched for online has been slip on rockers, the only REAL rockers I have found are for 2 doors.
And salvage yards are a no go, considering I live in MN. Anything there is rotted out completely instead of just a quarter size hole.

Slip ons are basically a super thin "cover" that goes over your previous body panel, they can be welded on, riveted or put on with a special adhesive.

Thanks for the help BTW

Last edited by richphotos; 01-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the link, but it did not help, Seems as if they only have the rockers for the 2 doors, And not the 4 doors, just like I have been finding all over, only 4 door "rockers" are the skins/slip ons.

I think I may just end up doing what I originally was going to do, fix the quarter size holes, and then bed line from the door trim down to the rockers. if/when rust starts to show up again, I will then search out of state salvage yards for rockers.
Seems like a losing battle searching for new replacement online.