Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Replacing cloth on door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
mudslinger88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing cloth on door panels?

I want to replace the cloth in my door panels and such with a camouflage fabric I have. Has anyone here done any thing like this before? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm talking about the area near the door handles.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacing cloth on door panels?

im not sure if the pic loaded but I have replaced the fabric with red vinyl.

drill some small holes in the top plastic where the fabric is attached make sure to drill enough so this top piece wont be loose or weak since this is how you will attach it back on. cut the plastic welds from the back of the door panel. remove the fabric from the piece of plastic try to keep it in one piece so you can use it as a pattern.

now you will need some small nuts and screws with small enough heads that they wont be visable through the fabric put them through the holes you drilled earlier then attach the fabric and padding. I used spray on glue like for head liners it worked pretty good but it messed up when I pulled my arm rest off a couple months later.
you could probabely use plastic epoxy (make sure you use the kind that is compatable with abs plastic the good kind comes in a black double syrenge available at auto zone) but only useit on the edges on the back of the plastic you can use the padding that came stock. or make your own.

and just as an added idea like I did mine since I used vinyl it could be stretched. so I also covered the arm rests. covered the whole thing with glue took a big piece of fabric that I knew would cover it and stretched it over the arm rest I used a heat gun to stretch the vinyl over the end and handle then cut and stitched the handle on the bottom glue it around the bottom and screw it back on this will make sure and hold it in place.

I forgot to mention earlier but when you take off the seal on the top that touches the window use a knife to pry them from the back and straighten the staples with some plyers so you can put them back in if your careful you can do this several times I have pulled this seal off like 8 times seriousely and havent broken one

now you should be done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12407/3898FDBE702F4AC28EACE4661E2904B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12407/2C05C676AB2A40FCAC0997B42960E5F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacing cloth on door panels?

another thing I for got was the carpet on the bottom of the door I pulled it off got some more door panels from salvage and cut off the area with the carpet and covered it in vinyl and screwed it on with some very small screws and glued it too. but epoxy would probabely work better but make sure and scratch up the areas pretty good where the epoxy will go to help it hold.

took me about a month to figure out how I would do the bottom

hope this helped.