Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rocker Panel fitment, can the old spot welds be drilled out and a new one put in?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road
Default Rocker Panel fitment, can the old spot welds be drilled out and a new one put in?

Hi all,

Where does my rocker panel meet with the rest of the body? is it a big piece or small? can i drill out my old rocker panel spot welds and then spot weld a new panel in place? is it only spot welded in? or do i have to cut a line along somewhere? i know its easier to drill spot welds and then spot weld the new one in place but i dont know if mine is that way. i know it would be harder to have to cut a seem and butt weld it after. i would like to get a used rocker panel out of a salvage yard an put it on my truck. i may also have to replace the lower section of the extended cab. can anyone help tell me thats replaced a rocker panel before?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

first, why would you be putting on a used body panel? it has already seen countless Winters, has already had Mother Nature attack it with s**t weather, causing rust to start.

why not just buy the rocker & cab corner's from an aftermarket body supplier? they're not that much and will deffinately tell you where you need to cut for the new pieces to fit. as for butt welding, why not use a panel crimper to make a small flange for the new panel to sit on, for welding it to the body.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM

i only use new GM sheetmetal and if thats not available anymore i get used rust free sheetmetal...i dont bother with the import offshore metal, its just not worth my time....and the reason im replacing the rocker is because it has a chinese rocker on it now and its rotted because of the cheap grade metal....
so used is deff the way to go here. anyway, more importantly, do you know how far up the rocker goes into the pillar?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM

could it be a complete 1 piece cab side piece? or do you think its 2 pieces?