Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Soft top installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Soft top installed

Just installed a skyler soft top i got off ebay. The company is in the middle of selling so you can't buy from them but they for about $550 or so. I got mine for $120. Unfortunately, it didnt come with the mounting supports so i had to fab something. I originally was gonna get some scrap metal and bend and cut it to the shape i wanted. But then i realized it would be a lot harder to make it reasonably waterproof. So i got an old hardtop for free (didnt want to have to cut up my own) and cut everything but about 2 inch all the way around (with about an inch on the sides). Then i painted it black to match (it was white). The skyler softtop attaches with velcro so i got some adhesive backed velcro and put it on around what was left of the hardtop. Unfortunately, the adhesive sucked (actaully i took some of it on and off at one point and it lost most of its adhesion) So i got some glue and attached the rest. It ended up working pretty well, I was just finishing up as it started to rain and after about two days of rain it hasnt leaked hardly at all ( it did barely at first because there was the tiniest hole in the fabric but i patched that up and it ahsnt leaked since). Pictures and more explanation (pretty much what you just read) here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2438160/5

Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Soft top installed

Looks nice man but didn't that just make it a truck.....with a bed cover? Not tryin' to dicourage you, like I said it does "look" good....but you lost the "utility" aspect of the old K blazer....IMHO. I guess it is nice to have two totally different looks with the same truck though (being that you saved your old top).

Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, just talking about looks, I like the look of the old single cabs (and they didnt make extended cabs or anything anyways back then) but i want to have the passenger space. When it rains ( not that iot ever really does around here) its basically a truck yeah. But normally i have the look of a single cab with the passenger space of an extended cab with the storage space of a shortbed (with the seat out). And I its really a pain having the hardtop on (and its an extra 300lbs or so) but obviously i cant always go topless cause of rain. The softtop is a perfect compromise the way i see it and once the "rainy season" is over i wont even have to worry about it. Some people jsut take the hardtop on and off for when it rains, but moving around 300lbs all the time is awhole lot harder than putting up the softtop real quick.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

makes perfect sence. nice job!

Old 11-04-2006, 01:57 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

looks good man....i like it