Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tailgate Gap of Body Lifted Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member
Thermm is on a distinguished road
Question Tailgate Gap of Body Lifted Blazer

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to fill the gap left between the lower tailgate & top of rear bumper on a body lifted 1989 S10 4x4 Blazer?
I want to keep the original bumper height, so any mods to the bumper bracket to raise the bumper closer to the bottom of the tailgate is not an option.

I once saw such a specific item in JC Whitney Truck Catalog a long time ago prior to my lift.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Make a gap guard out of the filler panel below the rear doors of a barn door fitted Tahoe? (I've also seen similar factory fillers on late 90s early 00s Explorers as an off hand thought) They are black textured plastic so would be easy to manipulate into the shape/size you need.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Beginning Member
Smile

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that material. It would greatly reduce the amount of "roosting" from the tires thru this gap during mud/water driving conditions.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I have a 2nd gen blazer with a 1st gen BL (2nd gen never had a 3" BL only 2", only 1st gen). Needless to say the bumper brackets didn't fit for the previous owner. I have some aluminum diamond plate that I'm going to use to fill the gaps from the factory bumpers to the BL'ed body. Get it powder coated matte black & put it in place, it should be cool.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Best looking is to make a taller bumper that fits the hole better.

Otherwise go to any hardware store and get a rubber strip. Just screw it in back there. Still gonna have that goofy body higher than bumpers look.

For my gap guards on the side I used some 1/4 inch thick rubber mat. Taped some paper under it, marked, cut, and adjusted it in paper until I got something I liked. I then cut them out of the rubber and bolted them in place. Whole process took less than an hour for all the wheelwells so I can't see the one back taking that long.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member

I like Rottidog & neo71665's idea. I have a big diamond plate & chromed bumper already on the back & adding a little more diamond plate filler panel above it should match whats existing. I'll probably modify the brackets so its tucked in closer to the body than it presently is.
The Bracket that came with the bumper stuck it way out in back, never got around to modifying it. Been waiting for a solution to the gap. Now I have next Saturday's project.
Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Gap of Body Lifted Blazer-s10rear.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd add auxiliary reverse lights to the bumper. But that's just me lol & painting it or powder coating. I have a company next door that does powder coating & it kicks ***.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Beginning Member

Interesting idea about adding reverse lights to the bumper.
I have access to some very large white led strips that i could add to the diamond plate filler material for the gap left by the body lift.