Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

tailgate inside panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
cdmcg is on a distinguished road
Default tailgate inside panel removal

Hello,
I was wondering how you would remove the panel on the inside of the tail gate on a 99 s-10 blazer LS. Late last year I had moved half way cross country and had my blazer in a tow dolly and the altitude change during the second day of travel had changed my tire pressure and caused my right front wheel to come loose and slightly come off the dolly. I tried to see if I could just push it back on since it was only slightly off but in the process I dented my tailgate and didn't get it back on the dolly. So I am trying to get under the panel to see if I can just pop the dent back out.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

The panel is just cliped in i believe, its been a while since i removed it. So yes the panel is very easy to remove, BUT i dont think you will be ablr to pop the dent out because of all the crap(eletconics and hatcch release etc.) located IN the tailgate.

And on second thought...what kind of vehicle do you have? im assuming since you said tailgate and not lift gate you will be ok. I dont know who to take tyhe panel off of a lift gate nor do i know what the insides of them look like.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
Bigbrink is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Rear door/tailgate panel removal

Hello,
I have a 1995 4 door Chevy s10 blazer. I can not get the rear door to open. I was told i have to take the panel off in the inside but i can not figure it out without the door being open, if that makes any sense. I can pull on the latch inside and I can hear stuff move inside the panel so I do not think the wire from the latch is broken.

So my question is..
How do i remove the panel with the door being shut?
or
Dose anyone know what could be stopping it from opening?

Id appreciate any help at all!
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like HcHawks09 said, the inner frame work and other stuff is in the way. It might be hard to get to the dent. I also believe that it just pops off, but it's been along been a long time for me too. I do think there are a couple screws you need to take out. Double check before you go yanking on it. I also assume that its a 2 door with the drop down tail gate. If its the lift gate it's probably about the same deal, a couple screws and it pops off. For bigbrink, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't dealt with the lift gate.

Last edited by tycobb280; 05-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bigbrink. I read somewhere that there is an emergency release somewhere back there. I think its under the carpet on the door or something. Do a search, you should be able to find somehing

Old 05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bigbrink
Hello,
I have a 1995 4 door Chevy s10 blazer. I can not get the rear door to open. I was told i have to take the panel off in the inside but i can not figure it out without the door being open, if that makes any sense. I can pull on the latch inside and I can hear stuff move inside the panel so I do not think the wire from the latch is broken.

So my question is..
How do i remove the panel with the door being shut?
or
Dose anyone know what could be stopping it from opening?

Id appreciate any help at all!
Thanks!
There are two screws along the sides of the panel that will be impossible to get to if it's closed. I read someone say they drilled a small hole and were able to move the lever over. Here's a thread with more information regarding getting it loose... https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...ar-hatch-3526/