Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road
Default ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)

My 2000 ZR2 has a spare tire carrier, factory. It sits on the back of the truck and does not look at all aesthetic.
I want to remove it totally, but there will be a problem: the tire will not fit anywhere! Can I just get a regular tire and mount it on the 15" factory rim, and use that as a spare? That way I could just put the new spare inside the truck, because my guess is the ZR2 does not have the hardware to undermount it, unless that is a possibility?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Roof rack? and send the old rack to me? lolz

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Well real Strange right? You want to get rid of the tire Carrier and others would Love to have it ? I had a Black 2000 ZR2 with the Carrier, it was a Pain in the butt to see to back-up and and see out the back glass for me, Is it an aesthetic or just hard to see with the tire in the WAY ? Good Luck T.J.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

I love the look of a tire carrier on a 2 door, IMO they don't look right without the carrier. But I'll admit that backing up is made harder by them (and the huge c-pillar doesn't help)

Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

You're one of the few that wants to get rid of the spare tire carrier as mentioned above. It's a very desired feature for many (and a lot of 4dr owners which is wasn't available on). I have a 2dr with it too, so I can understand your annoyances with it. It incrediby hinders your rear view and makes it almost impossible to see behind you, and the worse part is the glass won't open with the spare tire carrier closed (on of my pet peeves).
Anyway, if you are set on removing it you can. The 2drs aren't made for undermounted spares, but in all honestly you wouldn't want an undermounted spare. They are a terrible idea and a real PITA if you ever get a flat. That leaves the roof or inside as an option. A lot of 2dr's (those without the spare tire carrier on the back) have them mounted inside. The only disadvantage is you lose a serious amount of trunk space (nearly 50%). If this isn't an issue for you though I'm sure you could pick up a mount for one fairly cheap at a junk yard or something and put your spare inside. The other option is the roof. This would be my choice. Not only does it look bad ***, but it's easily accessible and very easy to do. You just need some straps. You can mount it to the roof rack, but a basket would be ideal.

As for your question about tires and it not fitting...I don't really understand your question? You're saying you don't want to use the spare rim?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

There are items on ebay that lower the spare so you can see....

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Hummmmmmmm, Never Seen that Item to lower the Spare? As My Father-in-Law Has my Ole Black 2000 ZR2, We did some horse trading and He now owns it, But also HATES the Spare Tire in the Way also. But We LOVE the Look. Got to find that kit for Him ? Thanks for the Info.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
There are items on ebay that lower the spare so you can see....

Link?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The only issue with lowering the spare is that it will block your license plate, which is illegal everywhere. You'd either have to relocate your plate, or get pulled over frequently.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
As for your question about tires and it not fitting...I don't really understand your question? You're saying you don't want to use the spare rim?
i think he was talking about mounting a smaller tire, like the non-ZR trucks 235/75/R15 size, so that it'll fit inside easier/better.

personally, i'd mount it to the roof, like i did on my '92 4 door (God i sooooo hated that spare carrier out back!). i just made up a couple of cross bars, drilled & bolted to the side bars, with another bar running front to back between them (kinda like a big capital "I"), and just welded the actual mounting bracket from the rear carrier to it. this way it was bolted down secure, and could have one of the matched lock nuts on it so it couldn't "wander away".

Quick Reply: ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)