Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

wow... x2 on the only one to hate it. most want to fit it to theirs...

x15 on roof rack it then...

also for like $68 there is a "plate" that "moves" your mounting point down a few inches...

with a drill, 3 bolts, 6 nuts, and a chunk of steel, and some flat black spray paint, you could do the same thing with like an hour or your time

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-22-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 AM
elementtrev is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
The only issue with lowering the spare is that it will block your license plate, which is illegal everywhere. You'd either have to relocate your plate, or get pulled over frequently.
i droped my spare 3 inches and have never been talked to once by the police when i get pulled over of it covering your licence plate, although all the cops i had run ins with were cars. but i do know that with the drop you cant get a photo radar cause it covers the licence plate... my

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLAZE...Q5fAccessories

if your a member on zr2usa.com, since you have a z, you may get a discount, but idk good luck with your choice

ps. the drop makes you able to open your rear window without opening the tire carier too.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road
Default yes thats what i had in mind

Mounting the old rim with a new smaller tire is what I had in mind. I don't live in God's country, I live in the city, and it is not as useful to have such big tires. I feel great having such a durable truck but unless the ground opens up and swallows the highway, it is just a novelty. While sitting in traffic, I find myself daydreaming about shifting into 4x4, punching the gas, throwing it into first and just running over the hyundais and lowered civics to get to point B.

And I can't lower the tire if they will pull me over every two seconds. NYS cops have a chip on their damn shoulder, I just don't know who put it there. Going safari-style also doesn't sound likely, since I have trouble pulling into my parking garage as-is! (Plus it seems like too much trouble, anyway) I guess I will leave it alone :-\

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Why not mount it inside? And what size tire do you have on it now? If it's stock size it will fit inside. You must have a bigger tire on the back?

And Chris...I really like that idea of using the stock mounting piece off the spare tire carrier and just welding it to crossmembers on the roof. Good thinking! If I ever move my spare to the roof thats what I'm doing.

And element...I guess it all depends on where you are. I'd be pulled over in 10 seconds here if my plate was covered. That's a major no-no lol.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you know, it's kinda funny, all this talk about your tire carrier..........

i saw a ZR on the way home tonight-and he had removed the rack out back.

ripped everything off, and just screwed the bolts back in. kinda looked funny.........black bolts on a silver truck.......

and swizznuker, i've gotta ask, "throwing it into first and just running over (fill in Import of choice here)", what was that comment about? are you lucky enough to have a stick in your ZR?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

I personally like the look of the tire carrier. But I do leave my headrests down so I can see better and have considered the drop kit. But if you really dont like the look then I would go with the roof basket route.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Beginning Member
swizznuker is on a distinguished road

To answer your question Old Skool -- yes I have been lucky enough to stumble upon a 5 speed.. and let me tell you it is fun as hell to drive this truck on stick!

And your question Sisk -- I bought the truck with 31 inchers all around, and I am not sure whether or not they are the OEM size tires. Thats why I was wondering if it would fit inside or not. I am pondering a small subwoofer so I am not sure how it would work out if I do choose to stick it inside.

I also have the original tire cap which I still did not remove. It is vinyl and has seen much better days. To the touch it feels like it would crumble into ash should I choose to remove it, but its gotta go. I am now sure the truck will be more attractive without it.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

31's are not stock size, so that explains it. If you want you can remove the 31 off the spare and put a stock size back on it, but keep in mind if you happen to need your spare some day and throw the way smaller size tire on you won't be able to use your 4x4 while that spare is on your truck. You have to have the same size tires when using 4x4.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

you could always mount it to the front end lol. I wish I had the spare tire mount in the back... I hate my spare tire underneath

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Beginning Member
Becca is on a distinguished road

Since your Blazer is a ZR2, 31's are the OEM size. A 31 will take up a lot of the storage space inside (as mentioned earlier). With a roof rack not being an option, the only other thing I can think of is removing the spare and relying on AAA if you get a flat. Personally, I hate relying (and waiting) on someone else in situations like that.

Quick Reply: ZR2 Spare Tire Carrier (ugly!)