Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Adding a second battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Adding a second battery?

ORIGINAL: beatinPearls

i used a bracket i had off of a 95 vette that holds power steering reservoir to the pass cyl head. matched up perfect. the engine is apart so i can post a pic of the bracket if u need.
hell, i can bolt it all back to the bracket and take a pic. think that would be better.

I would like to see some pics if you get a chance.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: Millertime21

ORIGINAL: beatinPearls

i used a bracket i had off of a 95 vette that holds power steering reservoir to the pass cyl head. matched up perfect. the engine is apart so i can post a pic of the bracket if u need.
hell, i can bolt it all back to the bracket and take a pic. think that would be better.

I would like to see some pics if you get a chance.
x2

Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, that'd be awesome! I replaced my A/C pump with a bypass pulley about 5 months ago and it's already going to s*** so i don't want to put another one on, a second alt would be badass!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Beginning Member
beatinPearls is an unknown quantity at this point

Small spacer is 3/8in and larger spacer is 1 1/4in. bracket bolt holes center to center is 3 13/16. and you almost need the cut out on the bracket closest to the alternator to clear the cooling fan. the alternator i used is from an 86' Corvette but is a very common alternator. As far as i know, all TBI and TPI engines use that alternator design. wiring DOES vary.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an idea how to add the second battery into the engine compartment. First you would remove the coolant overflow reservoir. Next Buy A Double Battery holder. Now Instead of Placing the battery Across like this - You Can Now fit 2 batteries side by side like this l l. I Have yet to do this but when the oppurntuity and free time arrives i am going to do it. Once I Do i will post pictures for anyone that would like to try. As For the Coolant Overflow, buy a small aftermarket one that you can hang close by. That i have not figured out yet.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I dont think theres enough topside clearance. Youd have to cut down into the wheel arch as the reservoir conforms to the shape of the arch. Heres a pic that cknaffle posted on ZR2 usa from his 96 ZR2:

THIS is the thread on ZR2usa.com, by cknaffle.

He had to cut into the wheel arch a little, but not much at all. Im not sure what else has to be refitted (his brake booster and dist. relay box look modified for one, not sure about that intake).

Sounds like unless its really needed in the engine bay...you might just wanna put it in the back, or under the truck.