Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Drift automatic locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

? what are you trying to find out?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

What diff to go with, i have never had diff before, not even rwd or 4x4 so dont now anything about anything and think it is difficult to find some facts i can relate to, half of what i read might as well be written in Chinese.
I have tried to right to differentials@eaton.com and just go with their recommendations but only get a error message back :/

What would you buy if you had 400$
Will it require new berrings and can it last for drifting in dry conditions ?

I have been locking at Posi and Truetrac but that is only the tip of the iceberg and there is so many brands, so many different models and ways they operate.

It is difficult to decide if 位置的驅動器 or 真正的軌道 is best

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Well.. If i were to go with a new differential i would personally put a limited slip in, maybe something from Detroit lockers. Ive also been looking at the one that stays locked all the time accept when you turn, i think Detroit makes that one as well and its right around $400

All my wheeling buddies like Detroit so thats what i like. Eaton is also good but i just havent heard a lot about them becides the G80

Your next options are either an electric locker or an air locker but ill take a wild guess and say you dont wanna spend $1500 on a locker lol.

Or i suppose you could weld the diff but thats not a good option IMO, or you could beef up the G80, or modify it to lock sooner so the tires dont have to spin as fast to lock in, making it a little easier on the diff.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Ok, I'll see how much I can help here.

First, you're not going to be able to get anything for just $400, that's about the price of a lunchbox locker but because you already have the G80 you need to get an open carrier to put it in as well, I think those are around $100. Then you also have install costs, I don't know whats a reasonable budget for that, $400 maybe. I got screwed over on mine.

Next, what exactly are you looking to get out of this? Just something decent for drifting? Or are you looking to go offroading more too?

Just drifting, a good limited slip would probably work for you. Off-roading, it'll be ok but there are better options. Selectable or detroit would be the way to go then.

Did you look at that link I posted earlier?

And yes, most likely you'll need new bearings as well. Even if they end up being the same type, it's not a bad idea to put new ones in.

Here is the list of what if available according to 4wheelparts.com

ARB Air Locker - ARBRD84 ~ $900-1000 Plus air system
Auburn LSD - AUB542022 ~ $400-500
Auburn ECTED - AUB545004 ~ $700-800
Detroit Locker - EAT187C148A ~ $700-800
Detroit TruTerac - EAT913A481 ~ $400-500
Eaton LSD - EAT19559-010 ~ $500-600
Eaton E-Locker - EAT19659-010 ~$700-800
Powertrax No-slip - PTX9207853005 ~ $450-550 pluc open carrier ~ $100

Last edited by Jamaroon; 03-31-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
Well.. If i were to go with a new differential i would personally put a limited slip in, maybe something from Detroit lockers. Ive also been looking at the one that stays locked all the time accept when you turn, i think Detroit makes that one as well and its right around $400

All my wheeling buddies like Detroit so thats what i like. Eaton is also good but i just havent heard a lot about them becides the G80

Your next options are either an electric locker or an air locker but ill take a wild guess and say you dont wanna spend $1500 on a locker lol.

Or i suppose you could weld the diff but thats not a good option IMO, or you could beef up the G80, or modify it to lock sooner so the tires dont have to spin as fast to lock in, making it a little easier on the diff.
Eaton makes Detroit lockers so it's all the same company.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tibby
Eaton makes Detroit lockers so it's all the same company.
Yeah after i posted that i went ahead and looked at that.. my bad lol

Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 AM

Do we have 1.31" or 1.32" shaft diameter on ZR2 1998 ?
Is there C-Clip ?
Will i need a open carrier to those in the links below ?
Powertrax okey brand ?
Powertrax Lock Right noisy and bumpy like Detroit Locker ?

Knowledge about Powertrax No slip ?

Any other thoughts ?

I have seen this in some descriptions:
Replacement Of Diff. Case Not Req
No ring and pinion setup is required
Does that mean i need more accessories for them where it is not described ?

97cherryblazer:
My thoughts exactly, iam allso at lsd one time and on aggressive lockers the next

Jamaroon:
Yes i read you post and became more confused by all the possibilities
Made a long post with direct links and thoughts and then my pc rebooted, deleted it all and i went to bed with a mild psychotic laugh

I will try to install it my self, my hands are on the right way (only my head there is lagging) so thats not include in the approx 400$ budget.

I think any diff will live up to my offroad needs but iam not sure a lsd will be able to turn the outer wheel becuse it carry all the weight when cornering, after I have seen this:
20% grade G80 - YouTube

They are all perfect for everything if you should believe the descriptions so thats pretty useless

Detroit Locker
Detroit TruTrac
Eaton Posi
PowerTrax Lock Right (Careful in wet corners )
PowerTrax No Slip
Auburn Pro
Auburn Limited slip

After moving a little away from posi (lsd) i was thinking about Powertrax Lock Right but it must operate like the Detroit Locker and iam not a fan of backlash / slack when cruising peacefully, which brings me back to Detroit TruTrac.
But iam afraid TruTrac will be too discrete when driving so right now iam leaning towards PowerTrax No Slip but the text about it is almost unserious good, have a hard time beliving you can get the best of all worlds and then for under 500$ but can see on youtube it dont have the lsd downside:
Powertrax No Slip Installed.AVI - YouTube

Accessories:
Cover with gasket
Master Installation Kit

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM

I'm not sure on the shaft diameter
yes there is a c-clip
you need an open carrier for the two powertrax ones, I think the rest are stan-alone units
lock rights are fairly popular in the off-road comunity I think, I really only researched the Eaton E-locker and Auburn ECTED because I wanted a selectable. I don't really know much about the rest of them. And yes, the lock right can have a fair bit of chatter to it I think.

The only time you won't need to set up gears is if you have and open carrier already in the truck. So you will have to set up the gears properly no matter what option you go with. You'll need the backlash gauge and shims and bearings.

I haven't tried it at all, but I'm fairly sure I'd be able to do the same thing as the powertrax video with the lsd portion of my auburn.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 AM

Iam thankfull for any reply Jamaroon

Think i´ll just drop it, have alot of parts laying in Florida i need sent and dont think i get this under control any time soon, unfortunately.

Big thanks to Jamaroon, 97cherryblazer, Chuk Rhodes and MikeRo For trying