Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Should I chip? New engine, trans, tires, axles...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
Skeeter Cruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I chip? New engine, trans, tires, axles...

Hey guys, first post here but I've been lurking reading for a long time.
Here's what I've got going on. Putting a new Jasper motor in the '98 Blazer, along with a Mega Monster SS rebuild kit and some little stuff (headers, Flowmaster 44, torque converter, spark plugs, some new wiring, etc.)
Before my motor and trans blew up I was preparing for a axle swap so I've got a HP44/9in, coilovers, and 33in tires sitting in my front yard waiting for their turn to go on as well. I'll probably wait a couple weeks to install them though because my motorcycle needs fixing and I'm tired from walking and riding the bus everywhere. But they'll be on soon.

So here's my question. Would it be worthwhile now to get a Hypertech chip? I've read a lot of things on here claiming there's more worthwhile things to do with the money, but I figure at a time like now when there's gonna be a lot of changes going on in the car (and obviously with all this work I want it all working right) now might be the time. Also I don't have any tool for reading codes or anything and since I'm guessing that would be a useful ability in the immediate future, it might be worth it. Finally, Monster says I should clear the computer's memory before I run it, so there's going to be some computer work in there anyway.

Obviously this is an opinion question. Money's kinda tight (obviously I spent it all already) but I could squeeze it if it offset programming I'd have to have someone else do otherwise. What do you guys think?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Since your engine is OBDII, you won't put in a 'chip'. You will have to program the PCM. Hypertech offers two options for your year Blazer.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Beginning Member
Skeeter Cruz is an unknown quantity at this point

Right. Sorry, that's what I meant. I was comparing the two options on Summit. I was also wonder if the III would be able to do things like reset codes and some of those extra facilities that the more expensive one offers.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the PP III and, yes, it reads and clears DTCs. Go to Hypertech's site and you can find the exact model for your truck and even read the entire user's manual for it.