Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front diff seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Front diff seals

Howdy,
I bought my S10 last autumn. The very first thing I've fixed that time were the leaking front axle seals and CV boots. I don't actually remember the brand name I've used, but it could be Precision or Carlson. Two days ago I went underneath the car and seems they (the axle seals) are leaking over again (an oil drips are forming at the both axle ends).
Was it the quality of the seals I've used? Or anything else? I can't accurately address the reason for that, so I am not really sure what to do now... replace them over again? buy a complete set of seals? Dismantle the front diff for overhauling?
Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Mike

Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Hence no replies, I've decided to drain an old gear oil and fill in a new one. I haven't collect much though.
I've been trying to get a syringe in shop for ez top-up, but they couldn't find it. A lifehack did the job:

Meanwhile I could make a life presentation of the Ohm law using fluids. A flow is proportional to the pressure in bottle and inversely proportional to the hose cross-section times length

Last edited by Mike.308; 08-28-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:33 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,

I'm not expert on the front diffs, but if whatever keeps the axles in straight are not doing their job - then seals will leak again. Does the front axle have bushings to do this job? I'll see if I can look it up.

Les

Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Looks like there are some actual bearings that control this movement. Here is a discussion about changing them. Doesn't seem to be necessary to dismantle the diff, but you need some pullers.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...bearing-60055/

Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Looks like there are some actual bearings that control this movement. Here is a discussion about changing them. Doesn't seem to be necessary to dismantle the diff, but you need some pullers.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...bearing-60055/
Thanks Les for a prompt reply
So it mainly comes to the output bearings races wear. If it is significant, the seals will leak. It makes sense. I have to take a closer look whether I can measure that wear with a dial or quit the idea and just carry out the bearing replacement job, no matter the wear is.
Too bad I didn't feed the camera through a filling hole, to see how it looks all inside.

Now I wish to have two additional monitoring sensors: lub oil level / lub oil temp for a front diff. LOL.
Cheers, Mike

Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Hence no replies, I've decided to drain an old gear oil and fill in a new one. I haven't collect much though.
I've been trying to get a syringe in shop for ez top-up, but they couldn't find it. A lifehack did the job:

Meanwhile I could make a life presentation of the Ohm law using fluids. A flow is proportional to the pressure in bottle and inversely proportional to the hose cross-section times length
Is that an air compressor fitting that pushes air in and fluid out?

Old 08-29-2018, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Is that an air compressor fitting that pushes air in and fluid out?
Yep, that's right.
A simple calculation of 2 liters of liquid = 400 x 5ml syringes made me look for another option I don't have enough patience for doing a repeated activity over 400 times. I had to find the solution First I wanted to use gravity, but the 90W80 viscosity is so high that either I'd have to heat it up or find another option. I've found a spare air quick connector fitting and a bit of hose. 0.5bar (or 7 psi) did the job well.
...and remember, always start with a fully shut down air reducer or - better - don't try this at home (garage)

Last edited by Mike.308; 08-29-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Thanks Les for a prompt reply
So it mainly comes to the output bearings races wear. If it is significant, the seals will leak. It makes sense. I have to take a closer look whether I can measure that wear with a dial or quit the idea and just carry out the bearing replacement job, no matter the wear is.
Too bad I didn't feed the camera through a filling hole, to see how it looks all inside.

Now I wish to have two additional monitoring sensors: lub oil level / lub oil temp for a front diff. LOL.
Cheers, Mike
Mike,

I was under my front end today I am pretty sure I have a leak of the seal on the left side of the front differential where the drive axle is inserted. It looks like there is a plate with the seal in it that bolts on. Did you do this replacement? My research indicated that the flange seam is to be covered with some sort of sealant when the cover is attached. Does this sound about right?

Did you find any excess play in the internal bearings?