Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

Why paint when you can wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:19 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Why paint when you can wrap?

My Earl Scheib clear coat started flaking so for something like $25, I took care of it. Parked outside and still going strong after 4 years. I recommend it!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Interesting solution.

End of last summer I had to touch up the clear coat that was starting to peel at the lower edge of my rear quarter panel. A wrap would not have helped but I can see it being a great solution for a hood.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

How does the wrapping work? Did you do it yourself, or have a shop do it? 25 bucks ain't bad for a whole hood

Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

My son and I did his dodge 2500 pickup.
You can get a kit that has a gallon of product and hardener and it includes a sprayer almost like a air paint sprayer. { his truck took about a gallon and a half }
Prep is the same as for a paint job,
Mask off areas that you don't want to have it get on. Ruff up the paint and any body damage or defects {pin striping logos ect.} you need to repair and remove as it will show thu the wrap.
It sprays about like paint , Mix product and hardener in batches,several light coats works the best. Light tacky at the most never let it dry completely between coats.
Any thing you have masked off with a razor knife cut around the mask before removing the tape.
Rattle cans can be bought for small areas and touch ups.

Last edited by odat; 01-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Timmins_Jimmy is on a distinguished road

is this the same as a wrap?
I thought wraps were like a decal for the car and came in sheets?

What Odat is talking about i thought was like a rubberized undercoating or rocker guard?

Someone please clarify

Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I've seen stuff that's like a "cling wrap", kinda like window tinting, clean, mild soap water, lay in place, and heat gun... been thinking of going that way... easy to repair as well, peel off and redo

edit: just noticed it said "window painting", wand not "window tinting"... totally different lol...

Last edited by DonL; 01-24-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Wrap is like contact paper but flexible. This is the kind I got, a budget brand, 4D by TCbunny
Amazon Amazon
. I got 10 feet of it, thinking I would cover the roof also, but it is not all that easy to install. You need two people, some youtube viewing,a Felt-edge squeegee ($6) to eliminate the bubbles and a hair dryer to help stretch where needed (be careful, wrap will melt.). Took us about 30 minutes to cover the hood. Then I only got the front half of the roof and ended up painting the back half (paint is now all peeling up and needs a re-do). Maybe if you get a better brand, like 3M, it would go on faster, IDK, might last longer too, now that I've been bragging about it, I see some cracks appearing in the surface.
The surface has to be smooth because the vinyl is tough but as thin as saran wrap and any scratches or paint-peeled spots will show through, so do some prep if it needs it. Unless you get Camo or some pattern that will disguise the scratches. It is claimed that with a heat gun the whole wrap will peel right off but so far there has been no need for me to test that.

Last edited by puttster; 01-27-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:10 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Timmins_Jimmy
is this the same as a wrap?
I thought wraps were like a decal for the car and came in sheets?

What Odat is talking about i thought was like a rubberized undercoating or rocker guard?

Someone please clarify
What we used is yes sort of a rubberized wrap. But it's not really like a undercoating or rocker guard but I guess it could be used as such.
It seals out the elements well and is pretty durable. Rock pings and such don't seem to bother it much
As in the stick on wraps it comes in a range of different colors
As in the other wraps it's removable it can be totally peeled off without much need of a heat gun but with the prep the original paint surface in slightly damaged as it needs a slightly ruff surface to adhere.

Last edited by odat; 01-24-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:43 AM

Odat, are you talking about Plastic Dip?

As my carbon fiber vinyl wrap passes it's 5th year, all parked on the street, I see the wrap on the front half of the roof is cracking and peeling. The hood is showing cracks but is in better shape IDK why.