Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2004 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM
nor cal bob is on a distinguished road
Default 2004 blazer

have 04 wont diengage from 4x4 to 2 high when i try 2 wheel light comes on but front end howls.will shift back to 4 high howl goes away any ideas.

Last edited by nor cal bob; 12-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your front axle is not fully disengaging. This could be due to a frozen engagement cable or from a broken return spring inside the front axle.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 PM

will check engagement cabl how difficult is the return spring to replace in the front acle

Old 12-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To even check the spring inside the front axle passenger side extension housing, the extension housing itself needs to be removed.

The picture below shows the spring in question:

Old 12-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Default 4x4 disengage

thanks for the pic and the info really helps out alot,this is my first blazer project,and i find you all have been extremly helpful in getting this project off the ground.happy holidays..... nor cal bob

Old 12-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Beginning Member
meatchief is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Me too

I have same issue, 2004 also, started today, was driving on hiway here in cold Minnesota, dash indicator said 2hi, i drive OK for about 20 miles w/cruise control on at 65mph. As soon as I disengaged the cruise to slow down to turn off the hiway, started to howl, sounded like near passenger side front tire, howling got lounder as I got slower. I put in 4hi and the noise immediately went away. I had to cycle between 2hi/4hi a few times, back up, turn a figure 8, finally noise went away. However, on return trip back home tonight, same exact thing- drove for 20 miles @ 65mph in what I thought was 2hi- didnt seem like blazer was in 4wd- when I slowed to turn off freeway again, holing started, got real loud as I slower. Monkeyed around with cycling between 2hi/4i, backed up, figure 8, etc, and seems to have gone away. Someone rebulit my transfer case last week, and I have spotty issues since. I want to see if the cable is sticking tomorrow- my thought is to spray penetrating oil into both ends- my question to the forum: how hard is it to remove the end that attaches to front differential- I dont want to start messing with the protective boot before knowing of the boot pulls off, twists, off, and how can I disconnect and reconnect the cable?

Thank-you and Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator

You have to remove the 3 bolts that hold it on at the front differential.