Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 not working after Hardcore Muddin

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Shizer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 not working after Hardcore Muddin

Ok the other night I took my 1990 model s-10 blazer out mudding after putting some new 33's on it. After hitting a large hole and having no problem but stalling due to water in injector, My 4x4 went out and I got stuck in a hole right beside the big one. When I got pulled out my front left tire was wobbling and poping. Someone told me it was the cv axle. IF this is ture would it cause the 4x4 not to work? and also how much do cv axles run for?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 not working after Hardcore Muddin

Well i know for a fact that cv's will cost about 75-80 reman per side(mainly cuz i just bought a set). As for your 4x4, like i mentioned to ya on live chat, support the truck on jack stands, put it in 4x4 and shift into gear. If the fronts move then all is well. If not then something is buggered in the front. Could be the actuator, could be a vacuum issue, could be that when you hit that puddle you got water somewhere it didnt belong. From what you told me though, being as that cv boot has been torn for a while the joint is probably all worn to heck and needs to be replaced. Hopefully that will fix your issue and if not it needs to be done anyways because it will only get worse. Now if its not the cv then its gotta be the wheel bearing. Thats about the only other thing i could think of that would cause your issue.

Beyond that, anyone else got any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
schums is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if you have fixed this already or not I am new to the forums. A couple of months ago i put my jimmy in the ditch(long story maybe some other time I will share it) anyway my 4x4 stopped working what happened was the actuator on top of the TC and it caused the vaccum pump under my battery to go out cuz it was sucking TC fluid thats what caused mine hope it helps or you already have it fixed

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Shizer is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, I fixed it. The 4x4 wasn't working because of cv axle. The poping and wobling was ball joints. Thanks for the info though, and welcome to the forums.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, if your CV axle is toast, you're 4x4 won't work, because it'll just spin the broken part of the CV joint... Easier to turn that, than a wheel...

Had it happen to me on my old Mazda 4x4... Which sucked, because my rear-end was already blown, lol.

Duct taped a piece of pipe to the part of the CV shaft that was still turning, and limped it home on 1 wheel...