Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

96 S10 Blazer 4X4 Vibration between 66 to 72mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Beginning Member
T...K21 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Airship1
Technican: ""When servicing VIN# the following diagnosis may be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms. Symptom- Vibration that is felt in seat of pants OR a body shake at highway speeds. Recommendation- This condition may occur when EVA readings show the tires at 12-14 Hz, OR 60 MPH, and 0.07 Gs. This condition may develope or worsen on rough roads. This vibration is NOT torque sensitive and Can't be felt in steering wheel/column. This vibration is considered a normal characteristic for these vehicles and no repair attempts should be made. This diagnostic approach was developed for the VIN you entered and shouldn't be automaticaly used for other vehicles with similar symptoms. (end) They are admitting the problem exists, but saying it's normal, and there isn't a repair that will remedy it. They may eventually update a part (discover a design flaw) or develope a repair but at this time choose to say it's normal. Go over [#PI01273B - (09/15/2003)] with anyone else that drives your blazer and the service technician at goodwrench to determine if the symptoms match the bulletin."""

WHAT A P. O. S.!! I wouldn't buy another GM product for nothing!!
Great information to know.. I've read from the rear wheel axles seperating at 55mph to the rear end seizing and rolling the vehicle. Going to trade it in I believe.
Every vehicle make and model is gonna have some kind of quirk(s). I don't believe GM was intending for their SUV's to near triple digit speeds. Just to be fair...I have a newer explorer that I drive for work that seems to shake and vibrate nearing triple digit speeds- don't ask...

I second re-balancing tires, check drivelines for any unusual deformities, uj's, ball joints, tie rod ends, suspension and steering bushings for any wear, and stabilizer shock(s) when applicable.

Depending on the brand of tire and type of tread. I've found some big name brand tires don't balance well especially with their MT models. But if you absolutely have to have the big name brand with big lugs mount the wheels with the least wheel weights in the front and the heavier wheel weights in the rear.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
adamscottmartin is on a distinguished road

I've owned several S-series trucks over the years. All had some kind of vibration that originated from the driveline. My last S10 had it from 55-60mph even after balancing the driveshaft and having 2 shops check the angles and such. It is a common thing but not everybody has an issue with it.