Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

back axel problem ...lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Jhop16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: back axel problem ...lol

yeah crap the autostore didnt even have one in stock and they said i needed to know like a tag number that was supose to be on my axel, but i cant find it anywher... i dont know the next stop like a junkyard heh...i baught teh grease and was just gunna put more in it to buy me some more time...and the bolt is not gunna budge for anything, i tugged on it for a good 2 hours and got no where

Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get that bolt out, your only other option is to drill a hole in the cover and install a fill plug. You have to have an opening to fill the diff through. If you do go the route of drilling the new cover and putting in a fill plug, you must make sure that it is on the same level as the fill plug that is on the diff housing.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 PM

would JB weld work ?...not having much luck finding a new cover, i figured i can take the cracked one off, clean it up , use jb weld to cover the crack, and then drill a hole in it to fill up with oil and use a ear plug to plug the hole...sound like a good idea? or no?

Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't half *** this.
Call your dealer and tell them what you need, give them your vin number and they will tell you which axle you have and which cover you need. (You need to find a different parts store, obviously they don't know anything more then what the computer asks them). Ask the dealer for a price and availability.

Are you sure your on the right fill plug bolt? It is located on the passengers side and hidden within the fins on the driveshaft side of the axle. Clean the crap out of there with a screwdriver, then spray everything out with brake cleaner, then Spray that bolt with PB Blaster. Tap the bolt, srpay and tap, spray and tap. PB Blaster will penetrate into the threads and eat the rust. Tapping it speeds the process along. To tap, just use the back of your rachet. Once you do this, slide a length of pipe over the handel of your rachet and use this for extra leverage. Its called a cheater bar. I have several. One is 3' long and one is 18" long. Both of them fit over my 1/2" and 3/8" rachets. If you are still having trouble getting it out, take your truck into a service center and have one of the guys use his impact gun on it. You might need to bring a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer extension. Should only be a couple bucks. Hell bring it to my house and I'll do it for a beer. I'll do the whole thing for a 6 pack. [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Gear lube smells really nasty, and is EXTREMELY important. Don't half *** this repair.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:31 PM

well i got it off today with my friend, we cleaned it up and found it only had 1 small tiny hole, so we put JB weld on it, let it dry, then we drilled a 1/4 size hole in the cover to put the oil in through... which one of you guys recommended, i did that and but i have one final problem...how the hell are u spose to fill it with oil ...theres just no room in the back of my truck to hold the big oil bottle up and poor it in...

Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
yzf125 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to use a hose and squeeze the crap out of the bottle ( warm up the gear oil if possible it will make it easier to go in )

Old 11-11-2005, 11:14 PM

alright man thinks, me and my friend put a straw into it and squeezed the **** out of it and only got about not even half of the bottle in, so it's still pretty dried up, how far do i fill it? till it reaches the hole ? cuz when i took the cover off it still had a great deal of oil in it and its been leaking for a week

Old 11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
drkmelvin is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, fill it till it comes out of the hole

Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 AM
yzf125 is an unknown quantity at this point

That depends on where he drilled the new hole in the cover, Make sure you look up how much that rear end is supposed to have.