Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ball Joints/Stabilizer Bar Links

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
bigtymer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ball Joints/Stabilizer Bar Links

Hey guys,
I went to get an alignment at a local shop and they said they couldnt perform the alignment because i had bad Ball Joints/Stabilizer Bar Links. It is going to cost $430 just for labor.... My question is how hard is it to do myself (im pretty mechanically inclined) and is there any pictured diagramns out there?? thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 AM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ball Joints/Stabilizer Bar Links

ball joints require considerable tools and skill, not impossible but harder than your average job
sway bar end links on the other hand are quite easy, basic hand tools will get it done
do the endlinks and depending on how that goes either
a. go to the shop and let them know you did the endlinks and now need the ball joints done, or
b. do some research, get a manual, and rent some tools from autozone or advanced auto parts for free most likely and do it yourself
parts, lube, new tools will drop the cost down to between $100 and $200
good luck with whatever you do

Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Starting Member
Jimmysls98 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes they are alot harder to do than the normal brake job

Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill only do it myself if I have a tow to the alignment shop, 430 is pricey just for labor.

Either way however it goes, these two are right, its no brake job.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Moving this to the appropriate area...

Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bigtymer,

Ball joints not at all hard, I'm partially disabled (bad lungs) and I did it with the help of a friend...you just need a 36mm socket for the front drive shaft, two drill bits (one for the head of the rivots and the other to drill down the center of the rivot to be able to punch it out with hammer and chisel/punch) NOTE: when drilling the heads of the rivots off do not drill through the control arm, the new ball joints come with specifically sized bolts to mount them...

And as far as the Stabilizer bar end links these are like long bolts with rubber ends..nothing spectularly hard about either of these jobs...

Save yourself the labor the money could be well spent elsewhere....

Here is a service bulletin text about how to remove the upper but the procedures are similar for the lower...
[ol]Removal Procedure
[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/B87E8E4BA4A94584A774A0882262EA03.gif[/IMG][/ol]
[ol]Raise and suitably support the vehicle with safety stands.
Remove the tire and wheel.
Remove the wheel speed sensor electrical connector from the upper control arm.
Disconnect the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
Remove the cotter pin from the upper ball joint stud.
Remove the upper ball joint stud nut.
Using a pry bar, placed under the upper control arm and on top of the frame, pry upward.
With the aid of a helper, carefully hammer on the steering knuckle in the area of the upper ball joint stud in order to release the stud from the steering knuckle.

Remove the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle.
[ol]Place a block under the upper control arm to keep the control arm and the steering knuckle out of the way.
Suspend the steering knuckle to prevent straining the brake line. [/ol]
Using an air chisel, carefully remove the heads of the rivets that are retaining the ball joint to the upper control arm.
Remove the rivets using a pin punch and hammer.
Remove the upper ball joint.
Using a 6mm (1/4in) drill bit, deburr the upper control arm ball joint attaching holes, if required. [/ol]
[ol]Installation Procedure

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/E967CD262FAE4760B7F7B37088B09697.gif[/IMG]

Install the new upper ball joint to the upper control arm.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fasteners joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the upper ball joint retaining bolts and the nuts. Tighten
Tighten the upper ball joint retaining nuts to 18N·m (13lbft).[/ol]