Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bolt Won't Budge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
fotijerina is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bolt Won't Budge

I have a 76 Blazer. I'm trying to replace the steering damper and I can't get the bolt on the steering linkage to budge. The nut comes off with ease, but the thing won't move. I've tried backing my wrench with a floor jack and heating it up. Please help.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it spin?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM

I think it's the original shock. There's a 3/4" nut built onto the bolt, it then goes through the linkage and is ended with a nut. The nut comes off with ease. It wont spin or move. I backed my wrench with my floor jack and almost had the tire coming off the ground. It just won't break loose (turn/spin).

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what this area looks like on my '74:

Remove the nut on the opposite side of the shock (the nut on the left of the second image above) and the shock will slide right off.

If you remove the nut directly on the steering linkage (the one on the right), you will have to fight with the tapered press fit between the shock mounting stud and the steering linkage.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM

On the old assembly, there is no nut on the other side just a rounded head that is permanently attached. There is on the replacement.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 PM

I finally used a pitman arm puller to get the bolt out.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Glad you finally got it. Someone screwed with yours though or they changed things between '74 and '76. My parts manual shows a nut on both sides just like is shown in the pictures I provided.