Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bravada axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
tdbone1 is on a distinguished road

that sounds pretty good but trying to do the bravada axle swap might have just got harder

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Truk

The newer CV doesn't have the flange. It slides into and snaps. So if you were to buy a complete diff or a Bravada tube and shaft you need one that is compatible with the cv axles you have.
OR you can just purchase a new CV joint to match whatever bravada tube you have. On my 96 I have an older style cv on the drivers side, and the newer style (98+) cv on the passenger side with the newer style bravada tube. I think I had a thread about it earlier this spring.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member
norteno is on a distinguished road

What about the switch with the electrical connection that screws into the vacuum actuated axle tubes? Mine has one that is located just about where the cable housing goes in the tube. It screws in and has a elec connector on it. but the bravada axle tube has neither the cable or the switch. What do you do with that elecrial connection? THANKS!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Hamr68 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Bravada transfer case

I got a very off the wall question...has anyone ever just bypassed the tccm, and just hooked up a toggle switch or some such thing to the encoder motor on the side of the transfer case, so you could kindve just make it a semi-on demand all-wheel drive??????

Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

The motor is only meant to actuate with a PWM signal from the TCCM. To apply maximum holding shaft torque to the actuator motor probably requires less than 12V. So I would think that giving it straight 12V would probably burn up the motor windings. As for the rest of the system, tcase and whatnot, I think it could handle this for going up a muddy hill or something. But continuous use like driving on a snow covered highway would probably break or wear something unexpected since it wasnt designed to be on all the time. If your TCCM is non-functional and you just want to make some use for the remaining mechanical parts of the system, a switch would work fine for very brief periods, but I wouldnt use it longer than 20-30 seconds. I think the spring return on the Tcase is strong enough to get the motor to spin back to it's parked position, but you might have to use a DPDT on-off-on type switch to allow you to reverse the actuator motor in case it ever gets stuck in the full-apply position.
-William

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Hamr68 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Bravada transfer case

Success!!!!! Took out the TCCM, wired a three position toggle switch in-cab to the connections where the TCCM is connected to the encoder motor on the side of transfer case....Took the Bravada out in icy-snowy parking lot. While spinning rear tires, engaged toggle switch, and you can feel front axle engage. Also, on dry pavement, engaged toggle switch while turning wheels and you can feel front tires binding. Let off on toggle switch, and its normal again......Now I know the transfer case is still ok. The TCCM was just fried. Next step is get new TCCM, and replace encoder motor with new one. Thanks for the advice!