Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

C0323 Code, bad encoder motor ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
Matthew Ackerson is on a distinguished road
Default C0323 Code, bad encoder motor ??

Hey guys I'm back with another 4x4 question. My 4wd is currently inoperative. have a Service 4WD light, and the only code stored for my transfer case is the C0323, Motor A/B Circuit Low. Is this code always mean that the encoder is bad?? My scan tool doesn't have the ability to activate the A/B Circuit to test it, and in don't wanna buy a brand new one ($180!!!!) And not fix my issue. Thanks for the help!!! PB PS sorry I I still a noob lol

Old 08-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Get your ohm/volt meter out and run these tests....Ive attached 2 picture only because to get all the steps I had to overlap.

Attached Thumbnails C0323 Code, bad encoder motor ??-1.jpg   C0323 Code, bad encoder motor ??-2.jpg  
Old 08-28-2017, 09:26 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerson
Hey guys I'm back with another 4x4 question. My 4wd is currently inoperative. have a Service 4WD light, and the only code stored for my transfer case is the C0323, Motor A/B Circuit Low. Is this code always mean that the encoder is bad?? My scan tool doesn't have the ability to activate the A/B Circuit to test it, and in don't wanna buy a brand new one ($180!!!!) And not fix my issue. Thanks for the help!!! PB PS sorry I I still a noob lol
Of course do all the resistance and power checks on the wiring, but I think that unless you have a direct short of a wire somewhere, the encoder motor is pretty much the only thing that will blow the 20A ATC fuse like you have previously indicated. Also know that bad encoder motors can take out new TCCMs. So you could be looking at both. Took both on mine. Welcome to the world of automatic 4WD!!

Check the wiring first, but I would just go ahead and put an encoder motor in it, if it has had blown ATC fuses. Summit Racing will price match anything you can find on line, no tax, free ship on this item.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member
Matthew Ackerson is on a distinguished road

HEY Les Myer....thanks so much for all your help with this man, I got a good used encoder motor and i now have working 4x4 after i also replaced the actuator cable(siezed up) . Now just have to put driveshft back in and should be good to go!

Old 09-27-2017, 05:28 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerson
HEY Les Myer....thanks so much for all your help with this man, I got a good used encoder motor and i now have working 4x4 after i also replaced the actuator cable(siezed up) . Now just have to put driveshft back in and should be good to go!
Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for letting us know.